- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 9): Counters related to Malaysia’s second richest man, Tan Sri Quek Leng Chan — Hong Leong Bank Bhd (HLBB) and Hong Leong Financial Group Bhd (HLFG) — emerged as top gainers on the local bourse on Tuesday (Aug 9), following a report that the billionaire is weighing options for his stake in HLBB. Shares in HLBB opened two sen or 0.1% higher at RM20.84, before the stock surged further to hit a high of RM21.04. At the time of writing, shares in HLBB traded 22 sen or 1.06% higher at RM21.04, making it the top gainer on Bursa Malaysia. At RM21.02, HLBB was valued at RM45.57 billion. Meanwhile, at the opening bell, HLFG — controlled by Quek, who holds a 62% stake in HLBB — opened unchanged at RM19.24, and leaped further to hit a high of RM19.48. At the time of writing, shares in HLFG traded 16 sen or 0.83% higher at RM19.40, giving the company a market capitalisation of RM22.26 billion. On Monday, Reuters reported that Quek is … [Read more...] about Hong Leong Bank, Hong Leong Financial Group top Bursa’s gainers list
- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 3): Bursa Malaysia closed lower for the second consecutive day on Wednesday (Aug 3) amid mixed performance in regional peers as investors remained in profit-taking mode, said a dealer. At 5pm, the FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI (FBM KLCI) fell 4.48 points to 1,490.57, its intraday high, compared with Tuesday's close of 1,495.05. The benchmark index opened 6.47 points weaker at 1,488.58 and hit a low of 1,483.01 during the mid-morning session. Market breadth was negative with 399 losers against 367 gainers, while 451 counters were unchanged, 1,018 untraded, and nine others suspended. Total turnover decreased to 1.91 billion units worth RM1.35 billion from 2.85 billion units worth RM1.59 billion on Tuesday. Rakuten Trade Sdn Bhd vice president of equity research Thong Pak Leng said the key regional indices ended higher as investors took opportunity to bargain hunt for stocks following heavy sell-down on Tuesday. “Back home, we believe the … [Read more...] about Bursa ends lower for second straight day
- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 4): Bursa Malaysia rebounded after two consecutive days of losses to close at its intraday high on Thursday (Aug 4), with the key index advancing 1.15% on strong buying interest, mainly driven by technology, telecommunications and healthcare counters. At 5pm, the FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI (FBM KLCI) rose 17.14 points to reach its intraday high of 1,507.71 compared with Wednesday's close of 1,490.57. The benchmark index opened 1.09 points firmer at 1,491.66. On the broader market, gainers led decliners 611 to 276, with 392 counters unchanged, 956 untraded, and nine others suspended. Total turnover increased to 2.65 billion units worth RM1.89 billion from 1.91 billion units worth RM1.35 billion on Wednesday. Rakuten Trade Sdn Bhd vice president of equity research Thong Pak Leng said regionally, key indices ended mostly higher following positive cues from Wall Street overnight. At the same time, he said foreign funds have continued to … [Read more...] about Bursa ends at intraday high, KLCI up 1.15%
A screen in Hana Bank's trading room in central Seoul shows the Kospi closing at 2,473.11 points on Thursday, up 11.66 points, or 0.47 percent, from the previous trading day. [YONHAP] Shares ended higher on foreign buying on Thursday. The won rose against the dollar. The benchmark Kospi rose 11.66 points, or 0.47 percent, to close at 2,473.11 points. Trading volume was moderate at 393.27 million shares worth 7.4 trillion won ($5.6 billion), with gainers outnumbering losers 466 to 382. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.3 percent, and the Nasdaq Composite climbed 2.6 percent on robust economic data showing the world's largest economy is still chugging along. Foreigners bought a net 201.0 billion won worth of stock and retail investors a net 13.1 billion won. Institutions offloaded a net 227.4 billion won worth of stocks. Investors remain watchful over the Fed's monetary policy as the U.S. bank signaled that it will do what is required to combat high inflation despite … [Read more...] about Shares end higher Thursday on foreign buying
- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 4): Bursa Malaysia’s Technology index rose the most in percentage terms on Thursday (Aug 4), after the gauge settled 3.03% higher at 67.43 — the highest it has reached since June 10, 2022, when it closed at 67.76 — as Malaysian shares took cue from US Nasdaq's overnight trades. The tech-laden Nasdaq jumped 2.59% or 319.359 points to close at 12,668.16 points on Wednesday, while the S&P 500 climbed 1.56% or 69.98 points to settle at 4,155.17 points. The Dow Jone Industrial Average rose 1.29% or 416.3 points to 32,812.5 points. Reuters reported that Wall Street ended sharply higher on Wednesday, amid strong profit forecasts from PayPal and CVS Health Corp, which lifted sentiment and helped drive the Nasdaq to its highest level since early May. Meanwhile, CNBC reported that the US stocks' rally clawed back losses from earlier in the week, as traders cheered better-than-expected economic data that helped allay recession fears. … [Read more...] about Bursa’s Tech Index jumps after Nasdaq climbs to three-month high
- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 5): Bursa Malaysia retreated from its gains to open lower on Friday (Aug 5) due to profit-taking activities in selected heavyweights, in tandem with the mixed performance on the Wall Street overnight, a dealer said. At 9.05am, the FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI (FBM KLCI) declined 5.41 points to 1,502.3 from Thursday’s close of 1,507.71. The benchmark index opened 2.64 points weaker at 1,505.07. On the broader market, losers surpassed gainers 146 to 110, while 195 counters were unchanged, 1,796 untraded and nine others suspended. Turnover stood at 151.7 million units worth RM45.21 million. Malacca Securities Sdn Bhd said the Dow Jones Index fell by 0.3% following a mixed bag of corporate earnings, ahead of the US unemployment rate data which would be released later on Friday. It noted that the European stock markets extended their gains, while the Asian stock markets remained mostly upbeat. “We believe sentiment is likely to stay … [Read more...] about Bursa Malaysia retreats from previous gains, opens lower
The Nifty50 had yet another high volatile session on August 4 ahead of the big event - the interest rate decision by the RBI Monetary Policy Committee due tomorrow. Hence, the street may maintain caution till this outcome and if the index gets back firmly above 17,450, then there is a fair chance of the index moving towards 17,800 levels, with crucial support at the 17,000 mark, experts said. The 50-share index snapped a six-day winning streak and formed a bearish candle on the daily charts as the closing was lower than opening levels. It has made an attempt, during the day, to fill the previous bullish gap zone created on August 1, but failed as bulls managed to push the bears back to some extent. The Nifty50 opened strong at 17,463 and climbed up to 17,491 levels, but wiped out all gains in late morning deals to hit a day's low of 17,161. The index managed to recoup most of the losses in the later part of the session and finally settled with 6 point-loss at 17,382. Also … [Read more...] about Technical View | Nifty forms bearish candle ahead of RBI interest rate decision
Trade Watchlist Portfolio Message Set Alert live bse live nse live Volume Todays L/H More × The market continued its uptrend for the fourth consecutive session, tracking positive global cues and FII buying binge. Fall in oil prices, July auto sales data and strong GST collection for July also lifted sentiment. The benchmark indices closed at fresh three-month high. The BSE Sensex rallied nearly 550 points to 58,115, and the Nifty50 climbed 182 points to 17,340, while the buying was also seen in broader space on strong breadth. The Nifty Midcap 100 index jumped 1.7 percent and Smallcap 100 index rose 1.8 percent as about three shares advanced for every share declining on the NSE. Nifty Auto was the leader with more than 3 percent gains, followed by Bank and Metal with each rallying more than 1 percent. Stocks that were in action included Rain Industries which jumped 8.6 … [Read more...] about Trade Spotlight | What should you do with Rain Industries, Mahindra & Mahindra, Metro Brands on Tuesday?
- A + A KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 5): Bursa Malaysia bucked the regional trend to end lower on Friday (Aug 5) on persistent profit-taking in most heavyweights led by Malayan Banking Bhd (Maybank), Public Bank Bhd and Petronas Chemicals Group Bhd. Maybank lost one sen to RM8.89, Public Bank slid two sen to RM4.63 and Petronas Chemicals shed six sen to RM8.80. At 5pm, the FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI (FBM KLCI) fell 6.16 points to 1,501.55 from 1,507.71 on Thursday, managing to stay just a whisker above the psychological 1,500-point level. The benchmark index opened 2.64 points weaker at 1,505.07 and fluctuated between 1,497.77 and 1,505.53 throughout the trading session. Market breadth was mixed with 399 losers against 376 gainers, while 452 counters were unchanged, 1,020 untraded, and nine others suspended. Total turnover declined slightly to 2.61 billion units worth RM1.62 billion from 2.65 billion units worth RM1.89 billion on Thursday. Rakuten Trade Sdn Bhd vice … [Read more...] about Bursa bucks regional trend to end lower
Trade Watchlist Portfolio Message Set Alert live bse live nse live Volume Todays L/H More × It was yet another weak session for the market as participants maintained caution on Tuesday ahead of the major global event of the Federal Reserve policy meeting. The BSE Sensex fell nearly 500 points to 55,268 and the Nifty50 closed below 200 days exponential moving average (16,520), falling nearly 150 points to 16,484. All sectors witnessed selling pressure. Nifty IT was the biggest loser, down nearly 3 percent, followed by Auto, FMCG, Pharma and Realty indices which fell more than 1 percent each. The broader markets also joined bears' party as the Nifty Midcap 100 and Smallcap 100 indices were down 1.25 percent and 1.5 percent respectively on weak breadth. About three shares declined for every advancing share on the NSE. The volatility index India VIX increased further, up 2.77 … [Read more...] about Trade Spotlight | What should you do with Delta Corp, Bajaj Finserv, Sun TV Network on Wednesday?