Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
The Rs 35,000 crore earmarked in the Budget towards energy transition and energy security would be largely used to fund retrofitting of refineries and other units to meet emission norms, the finance ministry clarified on January 4. Some portion of these funds will also be utilised to augment strategic petroleum reserves.
In her budget speech earlier this week, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said, this budget provides Rs 35,000 crore for priority capital investments towards energy transition and net zero objectives and energy security by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
BUDGET 2023 : FULL COVERAGE
The budget document did not clarify what these funds would be utilised for. The ambiguity led to speculations that these funds may be utilised to augment strategic gas reserves and gas-based infrastructure, in line with India’s gas-based economy ambitions.
TV Somanathan, finance secretary in a post-budget media briefing in Mumbai clarified the Rs 35,000 crore funds will be utilised to meet the retro-fitting needs for refineries and other units as they upgrade to meet emission and other pollution norms. The finance secretary added some of the funds will also be used to augment the country’s strategic petroleum reserves.
- Budget 2020: Highway sector allocation may increase by Rs 8,000-10,000 cr
- Energy Budget 2020: Impetus for power, renewable energy sectors, says industry
- Budget 2020: Ayushman Bharat-PMJAY should use AI and ML
- Trump administration proposes selling 15 mln barrels of oil from strategic petroleum reserve
- Budget 2020: Text of FM Sitharaman's budget speech
- Banking CEOs reaction on Budget 2020
- Budget highlights 2020: No tax on less than Rs 5 lakh income, announces Nirmala Sitharaman
- Budget 2020 offers conditional income tax rate cuts, banks on rural and infra sectors
- Minute-by-minute update of Budget 2020: DDT removal, LIC IPO, I-T sops
- Explainer: Is Sitharaman's environment allocation in budget 2020 green enough?
- PM-KUSUM scheme expansion a boost for agri sector, job prospects: Renewable energy players
- Green advocates praise Budget 2020, concerns on fund allocation
- No foundation for oppn criticism of Budget: BJP in RS
- Health budget: blessing in disguise?
- Centre's budget for environment not enough to tackle climate crisis: Experts
- Budget 2020 | Nirmala Sitharaman’s budget booster falls short of expectations
- No fireworks: On Nirmala Sitharaman’s second budget
- Budget 2020: Infrastructure, agriculture and rural India get prominence
- Farm leaders disappointed with no increase in PM Kisan pay out in Budget 2020
- Jaquar Group boss optimistic Budget 2020 will increase consumer's purchasing power, improve standard of living
Union Budget 2023 | Energy Sector: Allocated funds to be used for refinery retro-fitting, petroleum reserves have 378 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at February 4, 2023. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.