Jakarta ● Wed, February 1, 2023
It's not uncommon in Indonesia for people to be against feminism. In fact, there is a whole movement against it as evidenced by the hashtags #IndonesiaTanpaFeminis (Indonesia without feminists) and #UninstallFeminism, which started to emerge in 2019. I also found a photo uploaded on InstaStory showing dozens of women wearing headscarves clenching their right fists accompanied by a photo caption: “Women who want their generation not to be poisoned by feminism.”
Looking at this, you could hardly be blamed if you got the impression that Islam is against feminism. Is that really the case?
Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) is said to be the largest Muslim social organization in Indonesia, in fact, in the world. As of 2019, it had 91.2 million members. So, you can imagine what the head of the NU Central Executive Board (PBNU) says, holds a lot of sway.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Gender equality in Indonesia: The rising tide that lifts all boats
- ‘Hugs, screams and cries’: Afghan women anguished at university ban
- 'Don't Touch Me!': Danilla, Marion Jola, Ramengvrl roar against misogyny, sexism
You might also like :
- The Joy of Feminism
- 6 leading Kiwi designers on the fashion industry, gender equality and feminism
- Female gender shouldn’t misconstrue feminism ― Ekiti First Lady
- Anzac Day: The faces behind the legend
- Freida Pinto: #MeToo Needs Men and Women to Fight Together
- Look: UCF trolls Florida with epic billboard in Gainesville
- Violence against Indigenous women during COVID-19 sparks calls for MMIWG plan
- Is Kim Jong Un under threat from his army?
- Youths and mentorship
- Tasek Gelugor MP: Unfair to cast accusations at politicians who switch parties
- ‘They have played God with people’s lives’: The story behind Europe’s AstraZeneca blame game
- COVID-19: What's going on with the EU's vaccine rollout? AstraZeneca accused of 'playing God' with people's lives
- Campaigners lose legal fight with CPS over 'shocking decline' in rape cases
- Pak cabinet rejects proposal to import cotton, sugar from India
- On the alleged non-negotiability and sacrosanctity of One Nigeria(2)
- BJP MP: 'This is definitely not BJP's victory'
- Sri Lanka Okays New Project With India, Japan Amid Criticism Over Pulling Out of Trilateral Deal
- On the alleged non-negotiability and sacrosanctity of One Nigeria (3)
- The Afghan endgame: India's biggest challenge
- Biden's court-packing theater could tame the Supreme Court's conservatives
Gus Yahya Staquf’s volte-face on feminism? have 447 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at February 1, 2023. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.