Jakarta ● Sat, January 28, 2023
Music is entertainment. Most of us, especially those who update their musical vocabulary through major media such as television and radio, would agree with that statement. This is because big media has transformed music into a showbiz industry and selling entertainment.
However, there are a handful of people who think music is more than just entertainment.
According to the description of music anthropologist Alan P Merriam, music has 10 main functions in society. (Merriam, 1964). Entertainment is one of them. In addition, music is related to emotional expression, aesthetic appreciation, communication, symbolism, physical reactions, social norms, validation of social institutions, cultural continuity and community integration.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Workers deserve higher pay
- Dylan’s ‘Times They Are A-Changin’ lyrics for sale for $2.2 million
- When songs speak louder than slogans
You might also like :
- Why Jessie J’s bid to win a Chinese talent show is the best career move she’s ever made
- Pandit Jasraj: tributes paid to 'incomparable genius' of Indian classical music
- Don’t stand so close: how live music has changed its tune in lockdown
- TheSmallBigIdea wins social media mandate for Universal Music India
- Broadway musical ‘Diana’ to bypass closed stage for Netflix
- Florence's classical ReGeneration: how an outdoor music festival thought big under lockdown
- AEW 'Dynamite' Results: Tag Team Appreciation Night & TNT Title Match Scheduled
- Mandy Moore makes new music in the studio as she documents 'recording in the age of COVID'
- Google Play Music is shutting down. These are the best alternatives
- Donald Trump says QAnon followers 'like me very much and I appreciate it' and that they 'love our country' despite his own FBI labeling conspiracy theory a domestic terror threat
- Ciara celebrates Black excellence and twerks up a storm in Rooted music video shot TWO days before she welcomed her third child
- Music director Mithoon talks about recently-released Khuda Hafiz
- Princess Diana musical will skip the stage and go straight to Netflix... as live productions are forced to evolve in the pandemic era
- Reese Witherspoon to produce new music competition My Kind of Country for Apple TV+
- Imperial College are the champions! The Scowler beats Grandmaster Wang to win University Challenge - but how many questions in epic final could YOU answer?
- MTV VMAs 2019: Taylor Swift, Lil Nas X win big, but Missy Elliott is the star
- Big wins for ‘Parasite’ give Oscar night an emotional high
- Can a musical do justice to South Africa's Marikana mine massacre?
- Country Artist You Need to Know: Willie Jones
- Bill and Ted director explains why Face The Music is the film we need right now
To win appreciation, music needs criticism have 495 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 28, 2023. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.