The Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) was little changed on Friday as investors weighed positive gross domestic product (GDP) data in the Philippines and the United States while foreigners continued with their aggressive buying.
By the closing bell, the benchmark measure added 0.13 percent, or 9.46 points, to 7,052.16 while the broader All Shares index bumped up by just 0.13 percent, or 4.74 points, to 3,697.63.
The Philippine economy expanded at a faster-than-expected pace of 7.6 percent last year. The US government, meanwhile, reported on Thursday that fourth quarter GDP also beat expectations amid looming worries over a global recession.
PSE subsectors were mixed on Friday with mining and oil, financials, holding firms and industrial moving higher while services and property stocks tumbled.
A total of 1.12 billion shares valued at P5.65 billion changed hands. Foreigners also piled into the market with net purchases of P967.2 million, stock exchange data showed.
GT Capital Holdings Inc. was the top traded stock as it closed flat at P525 per share.
It was followed by BDO Unibank Inc., flat at P122; PLDT Inc., down 3.2 percent to P1,454; Ayala Land Inc., up 0.77 percent to P32.90; and Bank of the Philippine Islands, up 1.38 percent to P110.10 per share.
Universal Robina Corp. was up 0.99 percent to P142.40; Jollibee Foods Corp., flat at P241; International Container Terminal Services Inc., up 0.95 percent to P213.
Overall, there were 105 advancers against 83 losers while 59 companies closed unchanged.
The business headlines in under one minute
- PH poised for a strong rebound in 2022, say economists
- Over-40s mock NHS booster booking system and say they still CAN'T arrange top-up jabs despite officials updating software today
- In Tulsa, Food On The Move Welcomes 800 Afghan Refugees With Care And Compassion
- OPEC+ sticks to modest boost in oil output despite omicron
- Containing Omicron key to sustaining PH recovery—economists
- World Bank raises PH 2021 growth forecast
- PH firms transitioning to hybrid work setups in 2022
- Disappointing 2nd-Quarter Growth, Despite Strong Consumer Spending
- Dominguez: PH economy to boom after the pandemic
- PH debt now P11.97 trillion after RTB sale, more borrowings
- PH airlines bank on revenge travel despite Omicron anxiety
- Chua: COVID-19 as endemic mindset to sustain PH economic recovery
- Star Health will maintain 30% growth in future also: V Jagannathan
- 2 Explosive Growth Stocks That Are Worth Buying Despite Terrific Gains
- House price surge will continue next year despite 52 percent DIP in sales
- The Pro-Trump Conspiracy Internet Is Moving From Facebook To Your Doorstep
- How technology helped these relocation businesses grow despite Covid-19
- Despite Warnings, China’s Regulators Failed to Stop Tainted Milk
- 2 Top Growth Stocks I'm Buying Thanks to the Market Sell-Off
- What makes banks and IT stocks a buy at current levels despite relentless FII selling?
PSEi barely moves despite glowing PH, US growth numbers have 426 words, post on business.inquirer.net at January 28, 2023. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.