KULIM (Nov 30): The Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate in Padang Serai, Datuk C Sivaraj, said he had not received any instruction from the party's top leadership to give way to other contenders for the parliamentary seat.
As such, Sivaraj said he would continue campaigning although Pakatan Harapan (PH) candidate Dr Mohamad Sofee Razak had suggested that BN make way for PH to reciprocate PH's gesture in the Tioman election in Pahang.
"I have not been contacted by the leadership about this, and I will continue to campaign more aggressively until directed otherwise.
"By right, they (PH) should be the one giving way because I have been working the ground for three years and I already know most of the voters," he told reporters during his campaign rounds on Wednesday (Nov 30).
He was asked to comment on PH's decision to give way to the BN candidate in Tioman and whether he had been asked to do the same for the PH candidate in Padang Serai.
Meanwhile, Mohamad Sofee said PH needs to work hard to retain the Padang Serai seat, if BN refuses to compromise and give way to PH.
"I have a big responsibility to ensure PH wins here, to preserve the legacy of the late M Karupaiya (who won the seat in the last general election)," he said.
However, Mohamad Sofee said he had not held any discussions with Sivaraj about BN giving way to PH, as this was a matter for the top leaders of both coalitions to decide.
On Tuesday (Nov 29), Amanah announced that its candidate contesting on the PH ticket in the Tioman state seat would make way for the BN candidate to increase the latter's chances of winning.
Amanah secretary-general Datuk Dr Mohd Hatta Md Ramli said the move was aimed at strengthening cooperation between the two coalitions in the Pahang and federal unity governments.
The Tioman and Padang Serai contests in the 15th general election (GE15) were postponed following the death of a candidate in each seat. Polling for both seats will now be held on Dec 7.
Get our comprehensive GE15 coverage here .
- EXCLUSIVE: NY Dem Congressional Candidate Running As A Sterling Former Army Officer Was Actually Relieved Of Duty
- Russian, Chinese and Iranian hackers all targeting 2020 election, Microsoft says
- In tell-all book, Michael Cohen says Trump hired a 'Faux-Bama' before White House run
- Whitney Way Thore defends calling herself 'fat'... after her followers asked she stop saying that: 'It's actually insulting to insist that a fat person who has identified as fat actually isn't fat'
- 'Press are worse than the Nazis': Independent newspaper columnist who masterminded Extinction Rebellion blockade of printworks says 'this is like World War Two and you guys are on the other side'
- Better politicians who row over race than candidates who hardly care
- Another kind of restructuring: Legislating our way out of dysfunction
- Critics blast CNN's Jake Tapper for 'lying' after claim about GOP candidate Sean Parnell
- Saying human trials aren’t enough, researchers call for comparison of COVID-19 vaccines in monkeys
- Covid Speed Read: Unlock 5.0 guidelines extended till Nov 30; RBI says Covid to erode 3 yrs of states' fiscal consolidation gains
- 3 ways to ensure you communicate your potential in a job interview
- The 2020 Election May Be The Worst Yet For Third-Party Candidates
- Third-Party Candidates Had An Impact In 2016. In 2020, They’ve Struggled To Gain Traction.
- There’s No Chance Kanye West Wins The Election, But These People Say They’re Voting For Him Anyway
- GOP rips Dem candidates for suggesting they might not take coronavirus vaccine
- 'We Do Not Have to Be Overly Discouraged' About Pause in Coronavirus Vaccine Trial, WHO Says
- Connecticut: David X. Sullivan — ‘I’m a Rule of Law Candidate’
- The Spot: What we still don’t know about Colorado’s Senate candidates, plus “bonkers” early turnout and Hancock lets his opinion be known
- Balika Vadhu fame Avika Gor admits to mostly making wrong choices in life; says, 'I chose to see the emptiness almost everytime'
- Candidates: Here's how to legally steal an election
No directive for BN to give way in Padang Serai, says candidate Sivaraj have 666 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at December 1, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.