A dominating performance from Erling Haaland and Manchester City sees the reigning champions just one point behind league leaders Arsenal.
Striker Erling Haaland led Manchester City to a thumping 6-3 victory over Manchester United in the derby on Sunday with three goals and two assists at the Etihad Stadium. While that was a 10/10 performance in a big game against arch-rivals, the focus point of his brilliant performance is the record he smashed.
Erling Haaland becomes the 1st player in @premierleague history to score a hat-trick in 3 successive PL home games
Quickest players to 3 PL hat-tricks
E HAALAND 8️⃣ apps
M Owen 4️⃣8️⃣ apps
R Van Nistelrooy 5️⃣9️⃣ apps
F Torres 6️⃣4️⃣ apps
A Cole 6️⃣5️⃣ apps pic.twitter.com/3BT1vcagex
— Sky Sports Statto (@SkySportsStatto) October 2, 2022
His third treble in eight matches for the reigning Premier League champions makes him the fastest to reach the feat, and by quite a margin! The previous record, held by Liverpool striker Michael Owen, was 48 games.
This was also his third consecutive hat-trick in home matches, a record that will take some scoring to surpass.
Incidentally, he equalled his footballing idol Cristiano Ronaldo’s record of three EPL hat-tricks, who helplessly watched the Norwegian put on a show from the opposition bench.
Premier League hat tricks:
3—Erling Haaland (8 matches)
3—Cristiano Ronaldo (232 matches) pic.twitter.com/um8moufg2s
— B/R Football (@brfootball) October 2, 2022
Manchester City took all of eight minutes to take the lead in front of their home fans through Phil Foden, the game’s other hat-trick hero. The champions cruised to a 4-0 lead at half-time before adding two more goals in the second period.
Manchester United did strike thrice, through Antony and Anthony Martial (two goals), but the result was already decided thanks to a dominating first-half performance from City.
Haaland caught the attention of the biggest clubs thanks to his incredible scoring record at German club Borussia Dortmund, where he scored 86 goals across 89 fixtures. This earned him a big-money move to a much harder league when Manchester City signed him in the summer of 2022. However, his appetite for goals got even bigger with the striker already appearing on the score sheet 14 times in the Premier League so far.
It is only the beginning of October, and he is well on course to beating the goals record for a season. Alan Shearer and Andy Cole share the current record with 34 goals a piece, which they scored for Newcastle United (1993-94) and Blackburn Rovers (1994-95), respectively. Haaland is averaging 1.75 goals a game so far, and should he keep this up, we could be looking at 66 goals across 38 matches.
This dominating performance from Haaland and City sees the reigning champions just one point behind league leaders Arsenal with 20 points in the bag.
With Haaland not looking like slowing down any time soon, can anyone stop him and City this season?
- Record-breaking Martin claims second pole at Styrian Grand Prix
- Daredevil Robbie Maddison Flips Out Of Helicopter With Record-Breaking Stunt On Razor Dirt Bike
- Teen On Record-Breaking Flight Around World Stops In Palo Alto
- Indonesia posts record-breaking trade surplus, exports in August
- Avengers: Infinity War goes ballistic at the box-office in record-breaking opening weekend
- England jump to third in FIFA rankings as record-breaking Italy stay fifth
- For the love of art: Inside NZ's record-breaking million-dollar art scene
- Will Gompertz reviews David Hockney's record-breaking Portrait of an Artist ★★★★★
- After a record-breaking 2021 season, AFLW has the brightest of futures but it deserves a vision
- Bundesliga: Wirtz sparkles but Haaland seals Dortmund win
- Yuvraj Singh Backs KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya To Break His Fastest-50 Record In T20Is
- Bundesliga: Young Pretender Erling Haaland Takes On Master Robert Lewandowski For First Time | Football News
- Bundesliga: Erling Braut Haaland Nets Brace as Borussia Dortmund Win 7-goal Thriller
- La Liga president's Erling Haaland comments will worry Man Utd and Liverpool
- Erling Haaland's incredible admission which will leave Man Utd and Liverpool purring
- Man Utd are facing a difficult decision with Haaland and Ronaldo
- Erling Haaland hails ‘fantastic’ Jude Bellingham as Borussia Dortmund and England star breaks two Champions League records
- Erling Haaland ‘laughed and walked off’ when Gibraltar captain asked for his shirt to give to his son
- Erling Haaland ‘laughed and walked off’ when Gibraltar captain asked for shirt to give to his son
- Erling Haaland blasted by opponent for behaviour after match - 'he can't buy class'
Record-breaking Haaland heading towards unchartered territory have 713 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at October 3, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.