The government has cut the windfall profit tax on locally produced crude oil and diesel, in line with a fall in international rates, and scrapped the levy on the export of jet fuel with effect from October 2.
At the sixth fortnightly review, the government reduced the tax on domestically produced crude oil to Rs 8,000 per tonne from Rs 10,500 per tonne.
The levy on the export of diesel was reduced to Rs 5 per litre from Rs 10 per litre.
The tax at the rate of Rs 5 a litre on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) exports was scrapped with effect from October 2, according to a finance ministry notification issued late Saturday night.
The reduction in the tax rates follows the easing of crude oil prices in international markets.
Petrol & Diesel Rates Sep 30, 2022
While private refiners Reliance Industries Limited and Rosneft-based Nayara Energy are the principal exporters of fuels like diesel and ATF, the windfall levy on domestic crude targets producers like state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Vedanta Limited.
India first imposed windfall profit taxes on July 1, joining a growing number of nations that tax super normal profits of energy companies. But international oil prices have cooled since then, eroding the profit margins of both oil producers and refiners.
Export duties of Rs 6 per litre ($12 per barrel) were levied on petrol and ATF and Rs 13 a litre ($26 a barrel) on diesel. A Rs 23,250 per tonne ($40 per barrel) windfall profit tax on domestic crude production was also levied.
The duties were partially adjusted in the previous five rounds on July 20, August 2, August 19, September 1 and September 16 and were removed for petrol.
- Windfall Profit Tax on Crude Oil Cut; Levy on Export of Diesel, ATF Hiked
- BP profits soar amid increasing pressure for a "windfall profits" tax on fossil fuels
- Windfall gains tax left Rs 4,000 crore hole in RIL’s Q2 earnings
- India cuts windfall tax on crude oil, hikes for aviation fuel, diesel
- Govt cuts windfall tax on crude oil, hikes taxes on aviation fuel, diesel
- Shell 3Q earnings double, stir debate on energy profit tax
- ATF price cut 4.5%, commercial LPG rates down Rs 25.5
- Oil And Gas Profits Very High Once Again – What This Feels Like To Energy Consumers.
- Biden's Moves to Cut Gas Prices Threaten to Undercut His Climate Agenda
- Petrol, Diesel Prices Likely to be Cut by Up to Rs 2: Report
- Oil companies' profits soar as windfall tax loophole sees fat cats pocketing cash
- Petrol, diesel prices may be cut by up to Rs 2
- BP expects to pay £700m in windfall tax after profits more than double to £7.1billion
- Price of Diesel, Which Powers the Economy, Is Still Climbing
- IOC reports Rs 272 crore net loss in Q2 on back of selling petrol, diesel below cost
- Petrol, Diesel Latest Prices Announced: Find out Fuel Rates Today In Mumbai, Delhi, Other Cities
- Sunak urged to issue 'Norway-style' windfall tax to drive energy bills down
- ATF price hiked 4.2%, commercial LPG rates cut by Rs 115.5 - Times of India
- NHS budget to rise despite spending cuts - but Rishi Sunak demands reform in return
- Petrol, diesel prices in Delhi, Mumbai and other Indian cities on October 27 - Times of India
Government cuts windfall profit tax on local crude, diesel, lifts for jet fuel have 543 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at October 2, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.