Damage is seen on the MV GSL Grania after a collision in the waters of Tanjung Laboh, near Batu Pahat, Johor on Tuesday, Sept 27, 2022. (Photo courtesy of Johor MMEA)
BATU PAHAT (Sept 27): Two merchant ships — the MV GSL Grania carrying a load of containers, and MV Zephyr I, carrying a load of mixed bitumen — collided in the waters of Batu Pahat, early on Tuesday (Sept 27).
Batu Pahat Maritime Zone Director Commander Mohd Haniff Mohd Yunus said the Malaysian Martime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), through the Johor Bahru Maritime Rescue Sub Centre (MRSC), received information about the incident from the Southern Region Marine Department at 4.30am.
He said the incident at 4.18am occurred 11.7 nautical miles southwest of Tanjung Laboh, near here.
"As soon as the information was received, the 'Benteng 05' boat was mobilised to the location to carry out a monitoring and assistance mission over the collision between the MV GSL Grania, registered in Liberia and heading to Tanjung Pelepas Port (PTP), [and] the MV Zephyr I, registered in Panama, believed to be en route to China.
"Initial information regarding the accident received from the captain of MV GSL Grania stated that it was caused by MV Zephyr I losing control and crashing into the right side of the vessel, causing damage,” he said in a statement on Tuesday night.
However, he said further inspection found that there were no injuries suffered by any of the 45 crew members of the two ships in question, and no oil spillage was detected as a result of the collision.
- U.S. Navy destroyer, PH merchant vessel collide off Japan
- 10 missing, 5 injured after Navy destroyer collides with tanker near Singapore
- Remains found on US warship that collided off Singapore – US Navy
- Colliding with China
- China-Vietnam Tensions Intensify After Vietnamese Ship Sinks In Disputed Waters
- 11 Missing After A Chinese Cargo Ship Collides With A Container Vessel Near Hong Kong
- 10 sailors missing as US destroyer collides with ship
- Nearly 80 still missing in Indonesian ferry accident
- US Navy suspends sea search efforts for missing USS McCain sailors
- ‘Experience’ is not ‘More Fun’
- Couple Killed In A Tragic Car Crash Leaves Behind Three Children
- US warship collision exposes Singapore-Malaysia sea dispute
- A Detailed, Heartbreaking Account Of How This Baby Was Treated In A Private Hospital
- Navy sailor sacrificed himself to save 20 lives after the USS Fitzgerald collision
- Sea piracy plunges to 18-year low but kidnappings rise – IMB
- All You Need To Know About The Himpunan Maruah Melayu Protest Happening On Malaysia Day
- 10 sailors missing after US destroyer collision off Singapore
- Rescuers search for 215 missing in ferry disaster
- Naval accidents no setback to South China Sea operations, US Pacific Air Chief says
- White House issues statement on USS John McCain collision
Two merchant vessels collide in waters near Batu Pahat have 443 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at September 28, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.