(The Edge filepix by Shahrill Basri)
SHAH ALAM (Sept 29): The Selangor government's preparation to deal with floods at the end of this year has reached 80%, including the placement of rescue assets in each district.
"The remaining 20% will be translated during the actual incident, which involves movement aspects during search and rescue operations," said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari.
Speaking to reporters after officiating at the Selangor Disaster Simulation and Training programme here on Thursday (Sept 29), he said a total of RM4 million in donations from the public during the Covid-19 pandemic and last year's floods and RM1 million in special funds from the Selangor government had been allocated for flood preparations this year.
He said that through the allocation, the state government will provide the necessary equipment to deal with floods, including satellite phones, which are needed in the event of a power outage or disruption to communication lines.
Commenting on the alleged corruption case involving the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA), Amirudin said the state government is giving the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission the space it needs to conduct a thorough investigation.
He said the state government and MBSA have yet to award contracts to any contractors for the Shah Alam flood mitigation projects, and dismissed the allegations that a cartel was monopolising the project.
Meanwhile, Divisional Secretary (Management Services) at the office of the State Secretary, Muhamad Shah Osmin, said Selangor received a total of 8,543 cubicle tents from the Yayasan Sultan Ibrahim Johor (YSIJ) in phases since May.
"We have distributed these tents to all districts in Selangor to speed up assistance to flood victims, in the event of an unwanted incident. The distribution is based on the rate of flood risk by district," he said.
- Don't forget your wellies! Hundreds of glamping yurts and tents are ready ahead of Glastonbury's first day tomorrow as early arrivals are warned it's already a mudbath - but temperatures will soar to 80F by the weekend
- Western Digital releases NAS-ready 6 TB drive: Why this matters
- GoDaddy: We're Ready to Secure .Com Names with DNSSEC
- Why “price gouging” helps save lives in disaster zones like the Houston flood… and government price controls can get people KILLED
- U.S. Gov't Says Salt Is Unsafe
- DirecTV Now vs. PlayStation Vue vs. Sling TV: Face-Off
- Retina-ready Mac apps are on the way
- Health Apps Ready to Collect Your Vital Signs, Wellness Data
- 8 Things You Should Never Say To Someone Who's Grieving
- Brown faces former school when Tar Heels host App State
- Desktop Linux: Ready for the Mainstream
- This Mom Says That Her 10-Year-Old Is 'Done' With Homework—Here's Why
- How women film-makers like Meghna Gulzar, Rima Das, Anjali Menon & Nandita Das are changing the face of Indian cinema
- 80% of IoT apps not tested for vulnerabilities, report says
- Rough way to face Patriots: Skins havenât picked starting QB
- 4G Mobile Hotspot Face-off: AT&T, Verizon LTE Hotspots Fight to a Draw
- 'Socially-cooperative' cars are part of the future of driverless vehicles, says CMU professor
- Delusional artist says climate change will make jellyfish and seaweed dining table staples
- How Does Your ‘Gym Face’ Match Up To These Crazy Portraits?
- These 4 Women Say Hypnosis Changed Their Lives
Selangor govt 80% ready to face floods, says MB have 528 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at September 30, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.