FILE–Kawhi Leonard #2 of the LA Clippers during a game. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images/AFP
Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard has been cleared to fully participate in training camp, president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank said on Thursday.
Leonard missed the entire 2021-22 season due to a torn ACL in his right knee . The five-time All-Star sustained the injury more than 15 months ago in the second round of the 2021 playoffs against the Utah Jazz.
Frank said the team will proceed slowly with the 31-year-old Leonard. Training camp begins Tuesday in Las Vegas.
"He feels great," Frank said of Leonard. "His plan is, look, he wants to participate in everything. And I think organizationally, we're going to be cautious. So it will be a step-by-step approach."
The Clippers open the preseason with games in Seattle on Sept. 30 and Oct. 3. Frank wasn't ready to forecast whether or not Leonard will play in Seattle.
"When you're dealing with a major injury, you can't predict," Frank said. "I know with him, he wants to do everything, but we'll just kind of let's see how he feels each day. We have an outstanding medical team, and we're playing the long game with it. So we're not going to get into predictions, what he will do or he won't do.
.".. We'll figure out, is that best for his body? One day it may be. The next day, we'll have to reassess. We'll rely on the feedback we get from Kawhi, obviously from the medical team. It's too early to predict. We have time before we need to get there."
FILE–Paul George #13 of the LA Clippers. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images/AFP
Frank also stated that 32-year-old forward Paul George is 100 percent recovered from the elbow injury that limited him to 31 games last season.
"His elbow is 100 percent healthy," Frank said of the seven-time All-Star. "Paul has had an extremely purposeful, driven, and very productive offseason, in that his consistency of training has been off the charts. Plus, he continues to take more and more of an ownership and leadership role."
The Clippers open the regular season against the host Los Angeles Lakers on Oct. 20.
Field Level Media
- Clippers Re-Sign Kawhi Leonard To 4-Year, $176 Million Deal
- Rumor: People close to Kawhi Leonard think he'll re-sign with Raptors - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Kawhi Leonard reportedly clears physical in Toronto; trade official - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Kawhi Leonard re-signing with LA Clippers
- NBA free agency 2021: Kawhi Leonard agrees to four-year, $176.3 million contract with Clippers
- NBA free agency 2021: Kawhi Leonard agrees to four-year, $176.3 million contract with Clippers, per report
- Why signing Kawhi Leonard could land the Lakers LeBron
- Kawhi Leonard, Clippers agree to 4-year, $176.3 million contract: reports
- NBA free agency tracker 2021: Clippers to re-sign Kawhi Leonard; Knicks add Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs agree on rehab program that has him away from team - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- LA Clippers re-sign Kawhi Leonard to 4-year, $176.3 million max deal
- Man claims Clippers agreed to pay him to help lure Kawhi Leonard
- Clippers deny tampering; Kawhi Leonard denies begrudging Magic Johnson leak, sabotaging Lakers - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- L.A. Clippers re-sign star Kawhi Leonard
- Report: Interested teams have been warned not to leak Kawhi Leonard info - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Report: Gregg Popovich met with Kawhi Leonard in San Diego - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Report: Kawhi Leonard's adviser, Dennis Robertson, made 'unreasonable' requests of Raptors - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Raptors president Masai Ujiri says Kawhi Leonard was up front, maybe hints someone else wasn't - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Report: Leak from Magic Johnson meeting hurt Lakers' bid to sign Kawhi Leonard - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Kawhi Leonard files lawsuit against Nike to get control of his 'Klaw' logo - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
NBA: Clippers clear Kawhi Leonard for training camp have 644 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at September 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.