LONDON (Sept 26): The Bank of England (BOE)'s attempts to calm financial nerves proved underwhelming, as Andrew Bailey's pledge to change interest rates "by as much as needed" to get control of soaring inflation sparked a fresh wave of selling in the pound.
After a day that saw sterling drop to a record-low against the dollar and gilt yields soar, Bailey said the bank is monitoring developments in financial markets "very closely". He said policy makers "will not hesitate to change interest rates by as much as needed to return inflation to the 2% target sustainably in the medium term".
The wild market swings are a response to sweeping tax cuts announced on Friday that investors fear will fuel inflation and increase borrowing at a time of rapidly rising interest rates.
The central bank also appeared to quash speculation about an emergency move, saying it will make a "full assessment at its next scheduled meeting of the impact on demand and inflation from the government's announcements, and the fall in sterling, and act accordingly".
The pound fell after the statement and was down 1.8% at US$1.0663 as of 4:47 p.m. in London. The currency had earlier pared its drop, amid speculation a stronger statement was coming.
Traders pared their wagers on BOE rate hikes after the release, pricing in about 170 basis points of hikes at the next rate decision in November, from around 190 basis points before the comments.
- Developers think that they don't need to be marketers, but that doesn't work
- The #1 Secret To Indie Game Marketing Success
- Intimidated By Marketing? Here's How To Overcome It
- Trump order: Escalate biggest trade war threat since WWII. Stocks had started recovery, now what?
- Indie Game Marketing for Introverts: 3 Tips for Social Survival
- Bitcoin blasted as a ‘failed experiment’ after huge 70% price crash
- What's It Like to Make the Most Distinctive Japanese RPG of All Time?
- There are too many video games. What now?
- What would the best indie developers do with Star Citizen's $100 million?
- Derek Smart is refusing to take his refunded $250 Star Citizen pledge lying down
- You need teamwork, stealth, and steady nerves to survive co-op horror FPS GTFO
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- What happened to the Neon Genesis Evangelion live-action movie
- Sherlock Holmes Kickstarter Fails, But Games Will Appear
- Deathfire Launches Direct Funding After Failed Kickstarter
- The 7 biggest E3 fails ever
- Here's what happens when four players try to run one town in Cities: Skylines
- "I feel like I need a chemical scrub… of the soul"
- What happened when Sega courted female players in the mid-’90s
- Alpha Colony Kickstarter Fails By $28, Dev Is Sorta Glad
BOE’s pledge to do what’s needed fails to soothe market nerves have 449 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at September 27, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.