LONDON (Aug 18): Russia has charged up to third place in a list of countries outside mainland China using the yuan for global payments, highlighting how it is being affected by Western sanctions.
Russia had not even been on the monthly list published by global financial messaging firm SWIFT before its invasion of Ukraine in February, but latest figures released on Thursday showed that only Hong Kong and financial powerhouse Britain are now ahead of it.
Russian firms and banks were involved in almost 4% of international yuan payments by value in July, according to SWIFT. That was up from 1.42% the previous month and from zero in February when the Kremlin’s action in Ukraine, which Moscow calls a “special military operation”, triggered sanctions.
Hong Kong unsurprisingly remains the top source of yuan transactions outside mainland China with 73.8% of the total, followed by Britain which accounted for 6.4%.
Russia’s sudden leap up the list will support the argument that sanctions are working and squeezing it out of the US dollar-based global banking system. But it will also back those who say it will bring Moscow and Beijing closer.
Alongside the impact on the financial sector, hundreds of big name Western firms have withdrawn or heavily cut their operations in Russia in reaction to the war.
Russia meanwhile has developed its own SWIFT-style financial messaging system, set up special accounts at some still-unsanctioned banks and continues to trade key exports like oil with countries from China and India to Turkey.
The latest SWIFT data also confirmed the rouble is no longer among the top 20 global currencies used in the international payments markets.
Back in December it was in 16th place with a 0.3% share in terms of value of transaction but it hasn’t been on the list since then.
The top four places on that list are held by the US dollar, euro, British pound and Japanese yen followed by the yuan in fifth spot.
- Wikileaks says Snowden has applied for asylum in 21 countries
- Apple iPhone Makes China Debut Without WiFi
- OPINION With Textile Quotas Lifted, China Comes Out Roaring
- Journalists Battle Web Censorship With Internet 'Enemies' List
- Xiaomi topples Samsung to take top spot in China smartphone market
- Canada Remains On U.S. Piracy Watch List
- Japan Reclaims Top Ranking on Latest TOP500 List of World’s Supercomputers
- Google-China Skirmish Mushrooms Into Foreign Policy Brawl
- China Blacks Out YouTube After Tibetan Riot Videos Appear
- China threatens to ban Skype
- China Prepares for Big Entry into Vaccine Market
- China Plays Up Hacker Crackdown
- US Trade Rep Fingers Russia, China in Intellectual Property Report
- TECH TREK Snowden Makes New US Snooping-on-China Allegations
- GDC China: Secrets Of Success In The Russian Market
- US Investigating Google Claim of China Hacking
- Did Apple Take the Slow Boat to China?
- Netflix vies for world domination, launches in 130 more countries (but no China)
- The China Angle: Profiting From Love
- TECH TREK Russia to Host Snowden Family Reunion
Russia charges to third in list of countries using China's yuan have 473 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at August 19, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.