Jakarta ● Wed, August 10 2022
Food security has become a strategic agenda for many countries, including Indonesia. The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) defines food security as the availability, at all times, of adequate food supplies of basic foodstuffs to sustain a steady expansion of food consumption and to offset fluctuations in production and prices.
There are two points highlighted by the FAO – adequate supply and stable price. This can be achieved by ensuring the food supply meets the demand and by minimizing the obstacles in global food distribution. Optimizing crop productivity becomes more important, including in Indonesia.
However, the current war between Russia and Ukraine creates a hurdle in the global food supply. Ukraine and Russia are the top exporters of wheat and corn, with a global market share of 21.3 and 10.8 percent respectively. The war in the Black Sea prevents any export activities for months, creating a shortage in the global wheat supply.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Eat less meat for greater food security, British population urged
- What Trump and African leaders need to know about food security
- 'This is the farming of the future': the rise of hydroponic food labs
- Social Security Isn’t Going Broke. Older Americans Are.
- Joe Burrow's Heisman speech is a call to action on food insecurity
- No ban, restrictions on importation of food items — Presidency
- Food and clothes - the basis for ensuring human rights in ethnic minority and mountainous areas
- Why local food production is inevitable with rising population – Alhaji Zanna
- With the Eat Right India movement, we seek to secure a healthy future
- Food summit organizers want to mend broken links in the food chain
- Banditry: Be security-conscious, vigilant, Gov. Bagudu urges Kebbi residents
- CAA: Paramilitary forces, drones beef up security in UP to prevent clashes after Friday prayers
- Secure, away from home
- WESTROP: Research Has Uncovered $41 Million Of Taxpayer-Subsidized Islamism
- What’s on TV Saturday: ‘Trisha’s Southern Kitchen’ on Food Network
- Nation ready for UN Security Council seat
- Governor who can’t secure his people has no business in govt — Former Minister, Chief Isola
- Surrender Your Security, Certainty, and Comfort
- Walmart’s Flipkart confirms it is entering the food retail business in India
- Viet Nam’s economy is expected to maintain good growth in 2020
Maintaining food security through subsidized fertilizer have 415 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.