KUCHING (Aug 7): Armed with a magnificent victory in the last Sarawak 12th State Election, Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) is now looking at creating a perfect score in its parliamentary general election debut by taking all the 31 seats in the state.
GPS chairman Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg said should everything that they anticipated come into place, the task of winning all the parliamentary seats at stake in the state is possible.
"This is the first election not like before because GPS will be on its own. The first one. The last time we were under BN (Barisan Nasional). This is the first election we are on our own (without making any pact with other parties)," he told a press conference here yesterday (Aug 6).
Earlier, Abang Johari who is also Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB) president, chaired the party's supreme council meeting and in the current parliamentary term, the party has 13 Members of Parliament (MPs).
Three other GPS member parties are Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) which held two parliamentary seats, Progressive Democratic Party (PDP) also with two seats and Sarawak United People's Party (SUPP), with one seat.
Abang Johari who is also Sarawak Premier said several incumbents from PBB had expressed their desire not to be nominated again for the coming general election to pave the way for younger candidates to take over their tasks.
"I will tell you later who they are. When is the (GE15), I don’t even know but there is an indication but I don't have to disclose it now. I thanked (all leaders who are ready to step down). In PBB, we have the culture of leaders stepping down to give way to the younger generation," he said.
He added that despite the changes, the core of GPS' struggle since leaving BN has been to restore the rights of Sarawak under the Malaysian Agreement 1963 and Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) that had been eroded over the years.
- Virtual consultations are 'unsafe' - Queen's former doctor demands GPs see patients again
- A tale of new cities: The main challenge before govt's aim to develop eight new cities
- PM Imran Khan appoints former teammate Ramiz Raja new Pakistan Cricket Board chairman
- Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals live score over Match 32 T20 16 20 updates | Cricket News
- NA Chairman holds talks with leader of Belgium's Chamber of Representatives
- Former Pakistan skipper Ramiz Raja formally elected as Pakistan Cricket Board chairman
- Buzzcocks are back to scoring cheap points with even cheaper laughs: ROLAND WHITE reviews last night's TV
- Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians live score over Match 30 T20 6 10 updates | Cricket News
- Think twice before seeking help from GPs, sick Scots told
- Remote GP calls not substandard, say doctors amid claims they were linked to five deaths
- Jeremy Hunt to pledge £20,000 'golden hello' for rural GPs
- Warning as GPs in Cornwall on 'brink of crisis'
- Scotland urgently needs a Nightingale hospital, say GPs
- Russian GP | Norris snatches pole position in qualifying
- Daniel Ricciardo to start on front row for Italian GP, Verstappen on pole
- Mercedes boss Toto Wolff slams 'annoying' F1 decision after chaotic Belgian GP
- Harry Kane scores twice as Tottenham secure comfortable victory over Dinamo Zagreb
- Hamilton eyeing open goal after Verstappen penalty: Five Russian GP talking points · RaceFans
- Grand Prix race results: Hamilton wins wild Russian F1 GP
- Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta mocking Harry Kane gives Tottenham forward perfect ammunition
GPS aims for perfect score in GE15 - chairman have 555 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at August 7, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.