(Aug 16): Strong earnings from Walmart and Home Depot helped drive gains in the Dow Jones and the S&P 500 indexes on Tuesday.
Walmart Inc shares rose 5.9% after the world’s largest retailer also forecast a smaller drop in full-year profit than previously projected.
Home Depot Inc added 5.4% as it surpassed estimates for quarterly sales on steady demand from builders as well as price hikes.
The two heavyweight stocks contributed to the S&P 500 retail sector’s 2.1% gain.
“These companies are beating reduced or at least modestly reduced expectations,” said Jason Pride, CIO for private wealth at Glenmede.
“Arguably, it is unexpected to some degree to see the magnitude of EPS strength being seen this quarter and even the prior quarter in the face of the difficulty that consumers are facing on the inflation in the rising rate environment.”
So far, 77.6% of the S&P 500 companies that have reported results as of Friday have topped analysts’ estimates, according to Refinitiv data.
Better-than-expected earnings from corporate America are helping US equities recoup losses from a recent inflation-induced rout, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq index bouncing nearly 24% off its mid-June lows.
Meanwhile, the 10-year Treasury yield recovered to 2.84% as encouraging data from US retail giants suggested that the Federal Reserve has room to further tighten financial conditions as it battles four-decade high inflation.
Traders are now seeing a 60% chance of a 50 basis-point hike by the US central bank in September and a 40% chance of a 75 basis-point hike.
That rise in yields weighed on high-growth stocks such as Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc.
“The back and forth in markets is heavily driven by changing expectations for rate hikes, which impacts stock prices,” Pride added.
At 12.11pm ET, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 248.32 points, or 0.73%, at 34,160.76, the S&P 500 was up 11.50 points, or 0.27%, at 4,308.64, and the Nasdaq Composite was down 20.1 points, or 0.15%, at 13,107.95.
Investor sentiment is still bearish, but no longer “apocalyptically” so, according to BofA’s monthly survey of global fund managers in August.
Focus will be on retail earnings and retail sales data this week for more clues on the impact of inflation on consumer behavior.
Zoom Video Communications fell 4.2% after Citigroup cut its rating on the pandemic darling’s stock to “sell”.
Advancing issues outnumbered decliners by a 1.06-to-1 ratio on the NYSE. Declining issues outnumbered advancers for a 1.28-to-1 ratio on the Nasdaq.
The S&P index recorded eight new 52-week highs and 29 new lows, while the Nasdaq recorded 67 new highs and 30 new lows.
- Record earnings at big banks could keep the stock rally alive
- Nikkei tracks overnight Wall Street gains as U.S.-Iran tensions ebb
- Wall Street slips from records after jobs data, but posts weekly gains
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks hit record ahead of U.S.-China trade deal, dollar gains
- ASX set for gains as US shares resume record run
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks, dollar gain ahead of U.S.-China trade deal
- Dow surpasses 29,000 level for the first time
- Stocks hit record ahead of U.S.-China trade deal, dollar gains
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar gains, stocks set fresh highs on U.S. labor report
- Dow up more than 1,000 points in biggest one-day gain ever
- An off-market deal weighs on Mandhana Retail stock
- DOW 29,000!
- Dow 29,000? US jobs report could give stocks another boost
- Next's strong Christmas boosts hopes for UK retail sector
- Nifty50 companies’ Q3 profits may surge on low base, tax gain
- Wall Street extends gains after Trump comments on Iran
- Dow hits a new record: 29,000 points
- Amazon's India business is getting an offline boost
- Retail stocks set for re-rating as consumer spends improve
- Financials and pharma cos could help boost EPS by 22-23% in Q3: Prateek Agarwal, ASK Investment Manager
Dow, S&P 500 gain on retail earnings boost have 600 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at August 17, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.