PETALING JAYA: When the captain speaks, you listen – even more so if he's an experienced one like Baddrol Bakhtiar.
The 34-year-old Baddrol, who is Sabah's skipper, has urged his teammates to keep their focus as they brace for two tough fixtures to come.
The Rhinos are hitting the right notes since Datuk Ong Kim Swee took over for the 2022 campaign and are surprisingly riding high at the top rung as the Super League approaches the half-way mark.
Sabah, third in the league after nine matches, take on Negri Sembilan at the Tuanku Abdul Rahman Stadium tonight and are hoping to steal a victory.
"A win will boost our confidence as we have to play JDT in the next match (July 15)," said Baddrol, who added that Kim Swee's guidance has made a big difference to the team.
"We are slowly shaping up to be a team that is united and full of spirit."
A win will see Sabah overtake Negri for the second spot in the standings.
Sabah have only lost twice in nine matches and have 19 points, one behind Negri.
Sabah came from behind to hold Selangor 1-1 in their last Super League match last Tuesday while Negri defeated Pahang 3-0 on June 25. JDT are the current leaders on 22 points.
"The motivation is for us to beat Negri tomorrow to close the gap on JDT," added Baddrol.
"We want to fight for three points to maintain our superb run in the Super League although it's not easy as Negri have a good record (only one defeat in the Super League so far).''
Baddrol said in Sabah, every player was treated equally no matter how experienced he was.
"In training, Kim Swee stressed on the importance of equality. There is no distinction between seniors or juniors.
"Everybody is expected to work hard to prove his worth.
"We have a lot to learn as we go along but with solid teamwork, I think we can be competitive against any team."
- Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos handed two-match Champions League ban for 'deliberate yellow card'
- Tyrone in total control as easy win pushes Cavan closer to relegation
- Gemma Chan, Halsey and Brie Larsen bring the glam to Captain Marvel world premiere in LA
- Brie Larson's Captain Marvel workout
- Crash captain 'didn't train on simulator'
- Maltese special forces take back ship hijacked by migrants and return control to captain
- European aircraft backed out from taking migrants from seized Turkish oil tanker: Captain
- Why Captain Marvel has a new look in Avengers Endgame
- Captain Kompany leads by example as City regain top spot
- Real Madrid captain Ramos charged by Uefa for 'deliberate' booking
- Paddy McGuinness to join ‘chaos’ of Celebrity Juice as new team captain
- Shocking moment huge cargo ship with ‘drunk’ Russian captain crashes into South Korean motorway bridge
- MH370 Theory Claims Captain Orchestrated Plane Crash to Elope With His Mistress
- Hero woman forms human shield to save little boy from being brutally ripped apart by two out of control pet dogs
- Stan Lee’s Captain Marvel cameo revealed after directors revealed his appearance will leave fans in tears
- Film reviews: Captain Marvel
- Controlling man beat pregnant partner
- Rory Best: Early reaction from the Ireland captain following the Six Nations win over France
- RUGBY: Car crash for Rolls Royce as Spalding hit cruise control
- Joey Barton explains change of captain from Ash Eastham to Ched Evans for defeat at Coventry
Captain in control have 568 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at July 3, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.