Movie theater companies own and operate cinemas and concession stands in both local and national chain models. As a component of the consumer discretionary sector, movie theaters tend to perform well when customers have disposable income and poorly when the economy is struggling or during times of market turbulence. The COVID-19 pandemic devastated movie theaters as a group due to plummeting attendance, a consequence of the economic recession and because millions of consumers chose to shelter at home. The industry is slowly recovering. The biggest names in the movie theater industry include AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. and IMAX Corp.
The domestic theater market is forecast to post box office receipts of $6.8 billion this year, up sharply from $4.6 billion in 2021 but far short of the roughly $10 billion in annual receipts in the years before the pandemic, according to industry publication The Numbers. With the crucial summer season fast approaching, theater owners expect strong ticket sales following soaring ticket sales from early-2022 movies like “The Batman” and “Spider-Man: No Way Home.” These and other blockbusters have helped to drive a sharp increase in sales growth thus far in 2022 compared to the same period a year earlier.
Though there is no benchmark for publicly traded movie theater companies, a helpful benchmark is the Russell 1000 Index, which has provided a total return of -13.2% over the past year. This market performance figure and all statistics in the tables below are as of June 14, 2022.
Here are the top three movie theater stocks with the best value, fastest growth, and best performance.
These are the movie theater stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-sales (P/S) ratio. For companies in early stages of development or industries suffering from major shocks, this can be substituted as a rough measure of a business’s value. The P/S ratio shows how much you’re paying for the stock for each dollar of sales generated.
- MoviePass is trying to become the Netflix of movie theaters. But is the subscription service too good to be true?
- Kids Start Bawling as Movie Theater Plays Horror Trailers Before Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun
- Thanks to hits like ‘Avengers: Endgame,’ movie theaters have nothing to fear from Netflix
- Netflix didn’t stop movie theaters from having their best summer since 1998
- Compton Has No Movie Theater, But That Didn't Stop Ava Duvernay From Screening A Wrinkle in Time for Her Hometown First
- Telia tests world’s first 5G movie theater with livestreaming films
- Amazon is reportedly looking to buy a movie theater chain
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Shows Movie Theaters Can Still Be on Top of the World
- Arlington Heights movie theater reopening after renovations
- Netflix is in talks to acquire its first movie theater
- 'Aquaman 2' Will Hit Theaters in December 2022
- How to get your favorite movie theater snack for cheaper in time for Avengers: Endgame
- You Have to See Black Panther In a Black Movie Theater to Really Understand It
- Playing Those Weird Movie Theater AR Games That Appear Before Films
- Black Panther will be the first movie to screen in Saudi Arabia’s new public movie theaters
- Google Revamps Searching for Movies, Theaters on Your Mobile Phone
- Never touch a movie theater website again with Google’s new showtime feature
- Amazon movie theaters? Tech giant vying to acquire Landmark chain, report says
- Now showing: Seattle’s historic Harvard Exit looks to fill coworking space after years as movie theater
- Toy Story 4’s latest trailer proves that Pixar wants adults to cry in movie theaters
Top Movie Theater Stocks for Q3 2022 have 571 words, post on www.investopedia.com at June 16, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.