LONDON (Reuters) – Queen Elizabeth held a meeting with Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon on Wednesday, a day after the Scottish leader set out plans to push for a second independence referendum to break away from the United Kingdom.
Buckingham Palace said the 96-year-old queen, who is spending the week in Scotland, had received Sturgeon as well as a Scottish Parliament official in Edinburgh’s Holyrood Palace.
On Tuesday, Sturgeon, who is Scotland’s first minister, announced plans for a second independence referendum to be held on October 2023, and vowed to take legal action if the British government blocks it.
Voters in Scotland, which has a population of around 5.5 million, rejected independence by 55% to 45% in a referendum in 2014.
The Scottish National Party, which runs Scotland’s semi-autonomous government, says Britain’s decision in a referendum in 2016 to leave the European Union – a move opposed by a majority of Scots – means the issue must be put to a second vote.
The British government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson opposes a new referendum and says the question was settled in 2014.
The queen, who has missed several public events in recent months due to difficulties with her mobility, has been seen smiling and watching events during the annual “Royal Week” in Scotland.
Photographs showed her shaking hands and chatting with Sturgeon.
The SNP has said it wants the queen to remain as head of state if Scotland becomes independent.
The images showed Sturgeon talking to the queen about a bottle of Scottish whiskey and other items. “What a nice thing to have,” the queen said.
(Reporting by Kate Holton; Editing by William Schomberg)
- Explained: As Queen Elizabeth II marks her Platinum Jubilee, a look at her record-breaking reign
- Did Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee Secure the Royal Family’s Future, or Help Sink It?
- Queen Elizabeth II Prepares to Celebrate Becoming Britain's Longest-Reigning Monarch
- Beyond Queen Elizabeth: Europe's monarchies
- 'She's cheeky, so down to earth': Queen Elizabeth II speaks to Australians of the Year in Zoom call
- Which members of the British royal family would be in line if Queen Elizabeth II died or abdicated?
- Colour-blocking, twinsets, and glorious hats: Queen Elizabeth II’s best ever style moments through the years
- Queen Elizabeth misses out as royals attend Platinum Jubilee service
- As Britons thank Queen Elizabeth for 70 years, monarchy looks to future
- How Queen Elizabeth II's World War II service set the tone for her reign
- What does the monarchy look like without Queen Elizabeth? Her Platinum Jubilee offered some clues
- Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee LIVE: Monarch PULLS OUT of Epsom Derby tomorrow as Kate Middleton reveals health update
- Royal Family: King in waiting! Major first as Queen hands William historic new role
- Scrambling Sturgeon promises independence vote next year but SNP face 'difficult timeline'
- 'Dodged a bullet' Sturgeon skewered over independence as oil revenues 'effectively zero'
- Can Boris Johnson stop a new Scottish independence referendum if Nicola Sturgeon triumphs again next year?
- Queen Elizabeth's handbag: what she keeps inside the purse that featured in the Paddington sketch
- Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee LIVE: Her Majesty THRILLS in Paddington Bear sketch as Party at the Palace kicks off
- Queen Elizabeth news: Monarchy will STRUGGLE to outlast Her Majesty as heirs William & Charles ‘can’t hold it together’
- 'Change the record!' Nicola Sturgeon is accused of 'ignoring Scotland's priorities' as she begins ANOTHER push for independence vote
Queen Elizabeth meets Sturgeon after new push for independence vote have 546 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 29, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.