Mark Magsayo after making weight ahead of his WBC featherweight fight vs Gary Russell. Jr. SHOWTIME
MANILA, Philippines—Styles make fights as the old boxing adage goes. And two warriors from the Philippines and Mexico pitted against each other produce fireworks more often than not.
Filipino champion Mark Magsayo hopes to add to that long list of epic Philippines vs Mexico bouts when he clashes with Mexican Rey Vargas on July 9 in San Antonio, Texas.
Facing a fellow undefeated fighter in Vargas who is also a former champion, Magsayo has a golden opportunity to make a strong statement.
He finds himself in the right place too.
"I'm excited to be fighting in the same venue where my idol Manny Pacquiao fought Marco Antonio Barrera. That was the first fight I ever saw and the reason I started boxing," said Magsayo as posted on Boxing Scene.
Magsayo, who is defending the WBC featherweight title for the first time, is referring to the Alamodome where Manny Pacquiao stunned Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera back in 2003. The fight was one of the most iconic wins by Pacquiao throughout his celebrated career.
"We are preparing for a strong Mexican fighter in Rey Vargas. Everyone knows what the Philippines vs. Mexico boxing rivalry brings to the ring and I'm excited to display my talents for the boxing fans in Texas and watching around the world," he added.
Vargas (35-0, 22KOs), a former champion at super bantamweight, also sees a thrilling encounter against Magsayo (24-0, 16KOs).
"This is going to be exciting combat from start to finish. We know that he has great power, but we'll be ready to counter that, and anything else he brings to the ring. This is going to be a magnificent fight and I can't wait to step in there and compete."
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
- Dominic targets new theme in Slams with friendly foe Zverev
- Canon EOS R5 vs EOS R6: 10 key differences you need to know
- Issa Rae on the moment that motivated her to make it in the TV industry ... in Emmys segment on Black excellence
- Sony PlayStation 5 vs Microsoft Xbox Series X: Here's how the Sultans of console gaming compare
- India vs Australia: Adelaide Oval hotel: Know all about bio-secure bubble for Virat Kohli's bunch
- India vs Australia 2020: Adelaide Oval's Onsite Hotel to Serve as Biosecure Bubble For Australia Ahead of Series Against India
- Floyd Mayweather vs Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- FMIA Week 5: Rescheduled Games, Fired Coaches and Pain in Dallas—A Look Back at the NFL’s Newsy Sunday
- Australia vs New Zealand live stream: How to watch Tri Nations Series rugby online from anywhere
- Dolphins vs Patriots live stream: how to watch NFL week 1 online from anywhere
- Donald Trump put Jared Kushner in charge of series of foreign policy areas including 'stopping Mexican caravans' but was furious when his son-in-law controlled which foreign leaders got put through to Oval Office
- The making of a Rat King: How Naughty Dog created its scariest foe in The Last of Us Part 2
- Life at 40-plus: Brady vs. Brees tastiest of NFL matchups
- Cowboys vs Rams live stream: how to watch the NFL game from anywhere
- PS5 vs Xbox Series X: which console should you pick?
- How to watch Liverpool vs Leeds United: Live stream Premier League football online from anywhere
- Live Cricket Score - MI vs RCB, Match 48, IPL 2020
- Alabama vs Tennessee live stream: how to watch NCAA college football from anywhere
- Football betting tips: Aubameyang strike in Fulham vs Arsenal, plus back Rodrigo debut goal – Premier League predictions
- Golden Knights flex muscles vs. Stars in Game 2; Series tied 1-1
Mark Magsayo looks to make strong statement vs Mexican foe have 630 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at June 29, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.