(June 23): JPMorgan Chase & Co. is laying off hundreds of home-lending employees and reassigning hundreds more this week as rapidly rising mortgage rates drive down demand in what had been a red-hot housing market.
The total affected will be more than 1,000 US workers, with about half moved to different divisions within the bank, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified discussing personnel matters.
"Our staffing decision this week was a result of cyclical changes in the mortgage market," a JPMorgan spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday. "We were able to proactively move many impacted employees to new roles within the firm, and are working to help the remaining affected employees find new employment within Chase and externally."
The cuts follow the Federal Reserve's decision to boost interest rates to tame decades-high inflation. Last week, the Fed announced an increase of 75 basis points, the biggest hike since 1994. Thirty-year mortgage rates have already more than doubled from their record low in January 2021.
The fast run-up in rates has started to cool a housing market that reached a frenzy during the pandemic. Sales of previously owned US homes fell for a fourth month in May to the lowest level in nearly two years, according to data from the National Association of Realtors released this week.
Wells Fargo & Co., the biggest mortgage lender among US banks, has also been laying off and reassigning employees in its home-lending division, according to people familiar with that firm, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.
Earlier this month, companies including Compass Inc. and Redfin Corp. announced plans to trim their workforces amid the cooling US housing market. Compass said in a regulatory filing that it will cut about 10% of its workforce, or about 450 employees, while Redfin plans to layoff about 6%, amounting to roughly 470 workers.
- How to Get the Most Favorable Home Loan Rate Deal
- Self-Build-Finance Your Dream Home
- Home Equity Loans: Simple, Easy, and Understandable
- Basic Guidelines To Owner Home Building
- Home Equity Loan - Beware Of Bad Lenders
- Top 10 Things to Consider on Home Loans
- Financing Your New Home In NC - North Carolina
- Home Mortgage Loans for People with Bad Credit - Pros and Cons
- Mobile Home Loans Give Concrete Shape to Your Mobile Home Aspiration
- Secured Loan for Home Owner - Finding the Best Rate
- Is Your Home Loan Right For You?
- Getting a Home Equity Loan Without Perfect Credit
- Free Instant Home Appraisals Help You Find Out How Much Home You Can Afford
- Building Your Dream Home - Part 1
- Finding Home Loans When You Have Bad Credit
- Lending and Borrowing While Bypassing the Bank
- How To Get A Home Loan Request Approved With Bad Credit
- What Can Consumers Do If They Are In Danger Of Losing Their Homes As Mortgage Rates Sky Rocket?
- What is Home Owners Insurance?
- Home Equity Loans - Can I Do Without This Loan?
JPMorgan lays off hundreds in home lending after rate surge have 477 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.