Tokyo ● Tue, June 28 2022
Japan scrambled on Monday to avert a looming power crunch as temperatures climbed nationwide, with authorities warning of higher than expected demand after the rainy season ended in the capital, Tokyo, at its earliest since record-keeping began.
Less than two weeks ahead of an election for the upper house of parliament, surging electrical prices are making life tougher for Japanese customers, following higher fuel costs brought by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
A power shortage could batter the fortunes of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), already under fire for its handling of higher consumer prices.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Celebrate the start of spring with Mrs Crunch’s recipes and deals for lighter meals
- Trump presses Japan to reject EU demands on WTO reform
- How to escape the crowds at spectacular St Michael’s Mount in Cornwall
- Venezuelans in the dark as rivals trade blame for power cuts
- Northern parties in power-sharing vow as talks get under way
- Heat, floods, quakes: Tokyo 2020 preparing for any disaster
- Mozambique braces for storm's heavy rain
- Heavy rain, winds lash Tokyo as powerful typhoon hits Japan
- Corbyn braces for showdown over second Brexit referendum
- The Latest: Powerful typhoon makes landfall in Japan
- The Englishman who saved Japan’s cherry blossoms
- John Aguon wins three heats in Monster Energy race
- Ex-Nissan boss Ghosn leaves Japan jail
- Japan reveals name of new imperial era
- AFP: 5.5-magnitude quake hits Japan's Hokkaido, no tsunami risk
- Toll mounts as wild weather hammers US
- Poultry farmer mounts new legal challenge over plans to slash RHI payments
- Rugby powers unite: Players demand more say on global plans
- Storm’s defence powers victory
- Das Auto braces for double impact of Trump and Brexit
Japan braces for power crunch as heat mounts have 327 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 28, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.