(June 22): An Indian ministerial panel will meet next week to discuss a goods and services tax on cryptocurrency transactions, people with knowledge on the matter said.
The panel, comprising federal and states' finance ministers, is seeking to broaden the tax net to track dealings in virtual digital assets in a more effective manner, the people said, declining to be identified citing rules on speaking with media. The panel is meeting for two days starting June 28 in the northern Indian state of Chandigarh.
The panel is unlikely to finalize a rate in the upcoming meeting but discussions may be held on placing it in the highest tax slab of 28%, the people said.
A finance ministry spokesperson did not immediately respond to calls seeking comments.
Earlier this year, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman imposed a levy of 30% on income from transfer of virtual assets and a 1% tax at source on all crypto transactions in a bid to assess the size of crypto market in the country and track users. The move was seen as removing uncertainty about the legal status of crypto transactions.
However, there is still no clarity on imposition of a sales tax on digital currencies due to ambiguity in its treatment as goods or services and a lack of a regulatory framework.
The federal government is already working on a legislation to either regulate or tighten provisions though it is expected only after a global consensus emerges on regulating such assets, Bloomberg had earlier reported.
Digital currencies have been under pressure all year, along with other risky assets as global central banks have started to hike interest rates to quell soaring inflation. Bitcoin is down roughly 50% this year, and Ether has slumped 70%.
- GST Council may cut tax on hybrid vehicles as auto sales sink: Report
- GST Panel to raise 5% slab to 6% to boost revenues: Report
- A pad for the whole gang! Al Capone's first Chicago home 'with a secret bootlegging tunnel' goes on sale for $109,000 on the 90th anniversary of the gruesome Valentine’s Day massacre
- India's November gold imports jump to 5-month high as prices retreat
- Petrol, diesel prices down for 4 consecutive week; Check revised rates in top cities
- RBI Guv maintains anti-cryptocurrency stance
- RBI still against cryptocurrency in the country
- Trading in second-largest cryptocurrency to start in Feb
- Be aware of the taxes to pay while buying, selling or letting out a house
- Will GST meet on Friday lift the gloom by lowering tax?
- Viewpoint | The quick and simple tax filing guide for NRIs - FY19
- Personal finance wrap: Tax filing season; Is your bank the best MF advisor?
- The East India Company: The original corporate raiders
- India to post customs sleuths overseas to detect money-laundering
- Trump escalates fight over tax on tech giants
- How to Pay Taxes on eBay and Craigslist Sales
- No hard feelings! Joe Biden says he would consider Kamala Harris for his running mate if he gets 2020 nomination and predicts she can STILL be president herself
- Repealing California’s ‘tampon tax’: Gender equity versus budget fears
- Everyone wants a tax cut in Budget 2019: Here’s what’s feasible
- Google branded devious over tax arrangements
India panel to consider sales tax on cryptocurrency next week have 507 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.