Tunku Alizakri Alias (Photo by Patrick Goh/The Edge)
KUALA LUMPUR (June 23): Companies should consider setting up a sustainable unit or department to help them better understand the elements of the sustainable and responsible investment (SRI) and environmental, social and governance (ESG).
Malaysia Venture Capital Management Bhd chairman Tunku Alizakri Alias has said creating driven leaders and talent is essential to creating goals for the organisation and in identifying sustainable metrics.
“The younger generation are driven by solutions, and by giving them a purpose, which links back to profits [which] do not harm the planet and also the people, we will see the impact in our children’s time,” he said at the SRI Virtual Conference 2022 titled “Preserving the Climate through Sustainable Business and Living” on Thursday.
Tunku Alizakri, who is former Employees Provident Fund (EPF) chief executive officer (CEO), said a meaningful key performance indicator (KPI) is also crucial to drive value and the best interest of the company.
“When you set KPIs to your chief executive officer, break it down into two. The first thing is revenue — show me the revenue that comes from sustainable practices and new business.
“So, it forces your CEO and your team to start thinking about how to generate revenue from this.
“[Then] from the cost perspective, how do we reduce costs by reusing or recycling — putting a dollar value to it, which is directly linked to sustainability,” Tunku Alizakri said.
He said companies also need to keep in mind that the government has set a target of becoming a zero-carbon nation by as early as 2050 and they should find solutions.
“In order to achieve the target, it is extremely likely that the government will be imposing a carbon tax, so you’d better know how much carbon and or greenhouse gas emission you are emitting because once the regulations come into play, you’ll have all the things that you need to manufacture or to provide the services in the business you are involved in,” he added.
He said the reporting aspects also need to be emphasised to ensure companies have their direction ready and to instil confidence over their ESG commitments.
According to him, an insidious area is the weaponising of ESG by bigger economies to block or reduce the impact of other countries’ production “especially when you are employing a lot of foreign labour”.
Tunku Alizakri, who sits on Sime Darby Plantation Bhd’s board, pointed to the US Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) actions against the local glove and plantation industries.
“For example, Sime Darby Plantation is one of the companies with the highest level of social governance in taking care of foreign labour but it was just ignored [by the foreign authorities].
“So, for those of you who have not been targeted yet, I strongly suggest you start [preparing] now, so you’ll be able to quickly present it out to the international regulators, instead of being stuck for months.”
On Dec 30, 2020, the CBP issued a Withhold Release Order against Sime Darby Plantation’s palm oil products over allegations of forced labour in its palm oil production.
- Elizabeth Holmes trial - live: Ex-Theranos CEO ‘decided to lie’ as she was ‘out of time and out of money’
- Elon Musk says ‘there are UFOs’ sparking Twitter frenzy as Congress to set up unit to probe mystery craft
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 9
- The climate can't wait for electric planes. Sustainable fuel may be the answer
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 16
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 21
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 19
- Top read business stories from Sept 20 to 25
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 20
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 12
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 11
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 14
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 24
- Five Ways To Make Your Delivery Business More Sustainable
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 18
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 13
- What te ao Māori can teach us about sustainable business management
- Keep It In The Family: 6 C’s Of Managing Family Business Conflicts
- Purpose At The Core: Turning Your Business Into A Force For Good
- PepsiCo Centers Sustainability With Its Pep+ Strategy
Ex-EPF CEO: Businesses should consider setting up sustainable unit have 671 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.