Shares of Morgan Stanley ( MS ) climbed after the bank announced plans for stock dividends and buybacks . Morgan Stanley shares rose over 3% after the company increased its dividend and announced a $20 billion stock buyback.
Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo also boosted their dividends. Goldman had one of the largest dividend increases, with a 25% hike to $2.50 per share. Bank of America's increase came to 5%, while Morgan Stanley raised its dividend by 20%.
JPMorgan and Citigroup both held the line on their dividends, and said that increasingly stringent capital requirements forced the firms to keep them unchanged. JPMorgan did announce a new $30 billion stock buyback plan that began back in May.
“It is notable that JPMorgan and Citi did not increase their dividends given that they are much more cautious about the health of U.S. consumers than other banks, and even though they have ample capital to sustain a downturn, they still think it is prudent to be more capitalized during this period of uncertainty,” said Caleb Silver, Editor-in-Chief of Investopedia.
The announcements came in the wake of the Federal Reserve's bank stress tests that determined how much more capital banks could allocate to shareholders without depleting their capital. All 34 of the banks passed the test.
- Eagles: Patterson to Sign Big Bank Extension
- Mortgages in Dubai and the Big Banks
- Credit Unions Challenge Big Banks for Private Student Loans
- Your Business and Your Estate - Succession Planning
- World Bank Helps Developing Nations With Clean Energy
- How to Make a Plan for Your Online Business
- Why It Is Good To Open A Swiss Bank Account
- Will Your Bank Give You The Best Mortgage?
- Is Estate Planning for Everyone?
- Strategic Business Planning - Don't Plan to Fail By Failing to Plan
- Business Plans - Have You Ever Seen One That Worked?
- The Adventure of Business Planning
- Becoming Wise - Wild & Free - Writing A Successful Business Plan - Part 2 - Do It In Steps
- Dividends Or Buybacks - Which Are Better For Shareholders?
- You Can Laugh At Monies Worries If You Follow This Simple Plan
- Writing a Business Plan: Why it is Worth the Time and Effort
- Lloyd Banks
- Banking Investments
- 100 Year Mortgage Program Lets You Buy a House With No Bank Qualifying!
- An Alternative to Traditional Wedding Engagement and Save the Date Announcements
Big Banks Announce Dividend Plans have 393 words, post on www.investopedia.com at June 28, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.