Phnom Penh ● Wed, June 29 2022
A regional envoy tasked with facilitating talks between Myanmar’s junta and its opponents called on Monday for deposed leader Aung San Suu Kyi to be returned to house arrest from solitary confinement, ahead of his second visit to the country.
ASEAN has led stalled diplomatic efforts to end the chaos unleashed by last year’s coup, which ousted Suu Kyi’s government and sparked mass protests.
The former leader was transferred from house arrest to solitary confinement in prison last week, prompting concern and condemnation from the United Nations and international rights groups.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Some protest house arrest of Central pastor, coronavirus restrictions on worship gatherings
- Elon Musk criticizes coronavirus stay-at-home orders, calling them 'fascist'
- Myanmar military may be committing new war crimes, says departing rights envoy
- Innocent wife of ex-England star Kevin Phillips is arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and held in cells for two days before being freed after 20-year-old man was left critical in stabbing
- Eminem's home intruder was arrested for trying to break into the rappers OLD HOUSE just last year
- A pastor and protester clashed over coronavirus restrictions. One was arrested
- Jersey Shore: Ronnie Ortiz-Magro describes arrest on seven charges as 'bunch of unfortunate events'
- Ivanka is back! First daughter returns from self-quarantining at her father's golf course to the White House where he claims she 'created' 15 million jobs and credits her for small business bailout program
- ‘When Calls The Heart’ Renewed For Season 8 By Hallmark Channel
- Elon Musk Criticizes Coronavirus Stay-At-Home Orders, Calling Them ‘Fascist’
- 'We will SUBPOENA Prince Andrew if he ever returns to US': Lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein's victims ramps up pressure on Duke after he was shamed by New York prosecutors for failing to help probe
- Coronavirus live updates: White House has ‘big, thoughtful’ ideas to revive economy
- Coronavirus live updates: More than 30 arrested at Sacramento protest against shelter-at-home order
- Thousands of New Yorkers leave lockdown to bask in 70 degree sunshine, as three are arrested and NYPD issue dozens of summons over social-distancing violations in NYC parks
- Man shot dead over personal enmity in Greater Noida, five arrested
- Three shootings, two arrests and a dead gang member
- ‘Intruder’ who broke into Eminem’s Detroit mansion was ‘arrested for trying to break into his former home last year’
- Coronavirus live updates: White House considers more aid for cities and states
- Kerala Lockdown Day 42: UPSC exams deferred, govt to facilitate return of expats and more
- Delivery boy arrested for stealing mobile, laptop from advocate’s house
ASEAN envoy calls for Suu Kyi return to house arrest have 464 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 29, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.