KUALA LUMPUR (June 23): The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has filed a notice of appeal to reverse the High Court’s decision in acquitting Samirah Muzaffar and two teenagers from the charge of murdering Cradle Fund chief executive officer (CEO) Nazrin Hassan.
Attorney-General Tan Sri Idrus Harun when contacted confirmed the matter.
"We are appealing against the decision of the High Court," he told Bernama via WhatsApp.
Meanwhile, Deputy Public Prosecutor Tengku Intan Suraya Tengku Ismail said the notice of appeal was filed on Wednesday (June 22) through e-filing.
The prosecution had 14 days to file a notice of appeal to have the Court of Appeal overturn the High Court's verdict.
On Tuesday, Shah Alam High Court Judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman freed Samirah, 47, and two teenagers, now aged 19 and 16, from the charge of murdering Nazrin, 45, after finding that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case at the end of the prosecution’s case against the trio.
In his ruling, Ab Karim held that the evidence that Samirah and the two teenagers were the last people with the deceased cannot be said to lead to the offence of murdering Nazrin.
The judge also ruled there was no direct evidence to show that the three of them committed the offence (murder).
Samirah and the two teenagers as well as an Indonesian woman, Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large, were charged with murdering Nazrin at his house in Mutiara Damansara between 11.30pm on June 13, 2018 and 4am the following day.
- AP analysis: FEMA rejects appeals for $1.2 billion in disaster aid over a decade
- FEMA rejects appeals worth $1.2B over a decade
- British Virgin Islands jury convicts David Swain of wife Shelley Tyre's scuba-diving murder
- Big Georgia Jeep verdict could spur more lawsuits
- She foresaw her own murder
- Turkish Paper Claims Evidence of Jamal Khashoggi's Murder Was Transmitted by His Apple Watch
- State opts not to retry Marty Tankleff in the murder of his parents
- Murder suspect violated parole but was out on the streets
- Woman convicted of murder after blaming lesbian lover in tot's death
- I am no murderer! But I did father my daughter Elisabeth Fritzl's seven children
- 'Significant arrests with international dimensions' in Cork machete murder probe
- NO NEW TRIAL FOR KILLER. RULING CALLS JUDGE'S TALK 'IMPROPER,' BUT BACKS VERDICT
- Fund set up for NYC man who spent 27 years in prison on wrongful murder conviction
- Casey Anthony, charged with murdering daughter Caylee Anthony, back in court over lawyer fund
- Prime and punishment
- Martin Tankleff cleared of slay charges
- Want to dethrone a Gawker? Startups hang out the shingle
- Mom of slain man says son hugging cop should not be "misconstrued"
- The Long Island Borgia
- Bronfman to present on possible Peel Basin Major League stadium
AGC files appeal over Cradle Fund CEO's murder verdict have 446 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.