(May 18): Sri Lanka asked citizens not to queue for gasoline as the nation on the verge of default has no dollars to pay for a fuel shipment.
"There is a petrol ship in our waters," Energy Minister Kanchana Wijesekera told Parliament Wednesday. "We do not have the forex."
Sri Lanka "hopes" to release the ship "today or tomorrow," the Minister said. The nation also owes the same supplier US$53 million for an earlier shipment of gasoline, he added, without elaborating.
The island nation is in the worst economic tailspin of its independent history. Shortages of everything from food to cooking gas have resulted in Asia's fastest inflation — with prices surging almost 30% — and spilling over into social unrest and political turmoil.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe — less than a week into the job — said on Monday the nation has only one day's stock of gasoline and the government is working to obtain dollars in the open market to also pay for three ships with crude oil and furnace oil that have been anchored in Sri Lankan waters.
He said in Parliament Wednesday that the government was in discussions with the World Bank to channel part of the US$160 million aid provided for social welfare, for purchasing fuel imports.
Wijesekera said Sri Lanka's fuel requirement for June is estimated at US$530 million, and current supplies of petrol are being prioritized for essential services such as ambulances.
The nation currently has sufficient stocks of diesel, he added.
- Sri Lanka facing marine disaster from burning ship: Official
- Sri Lanka, Struggling With Debt, Hands a Major Port to China
- Revisiting northern Sri Lanka’s battlefields
- India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I: Dream11, Probable Playing 11, Live telecast, Live streaming details
- PM Modi to pay tribute to fallen IPKF soldiers in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka wins toss and bats vs. India in ODI series opener
- 1200 Indian Soldiers Dead, 3000 Wounded, Operation Pawan in Sri Lanka Was No Walk in the Woods
- Tanker fire off Sri Lanka now under control, says navy
- The Latest: Sri Lanka to buy 7 million Sputnik V shots
- PICS: Backpacking in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka: World's largest star sapphire cluster found in backyard
- Rostec: Bangladesh, Sri Lanka Might Purchase Russia’s Gepard-Class Frigates
- Asia Today: Sri Lanka vaccinates 1st health workers, troops
- 'Worst Beach Pollution in History': Lanka Fights 'Covid-like' Crisis as Ship with Chemicals Burns for 10th Day
- Sri Lankan team to get USD 100,000 for series win over India
- Dead turtles and waves of plastic show Sri Lankan ship disaster's deep ramifications
- Could Religion Be Fueling The Gender Pay Gap?
- X-Press Pearl: The 'toxic ship' that caused an environmental disaster
- Sri Lankan firefighters extinguish blaze on container ship
- What happens when poorer nations lured by China's cheap loans can't pay them back?
Sri Lanka can’t find cash to pay even one ship for petrol have 457 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at May 18, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.