KUALA LUMPUR (May 25): Soil sedimentation and low-lying areas located below river level are among the causes of floods in several parts of the federal capital after two hours of heavy rain on Wednesday morning.
Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) Socio-Economic Development executive director Datuk Anwar Mohd Zain said flood waters receded within 30 minutes and areas located below the level of the overflowing rivers were Jalan Rahmat, Jalan Ipoh Batu Tiga, Jalan Segambut and Jalan Ampang.
“Soil deposits on the side of the drain from a nearby development project caused water flow to be sluggish and blocked along Jalan Dutamas Dua, Lebuhraya Sultan Iskandar exit leading to Jalan Kuching.
"However, DBKL with the help of Alam Flora managed to clear the area and also immediately sent 10 water pumps to flooded areas with sandbags as an interim measure," he said at a press conference here on Wednesday.
Anwar said the stagnated water did not cause damage to properties and there were no serious traffic congestions.
He also explained that a video of a flash flood in Jalan Travers that went viral on social media was an old incident and advised the public to always be careful and check the information from reliable sources.
- Kerala Rains: Idduki Dam Opening Causes Flooding, US Tourists Among Dozens Stranded
- Record flooding expected in Montana river
- Texas officials secured big money for flood control, just not in Fort Worth
- Flood Warning Issued In Arizona, Dam Failure Possibility Prompts Evacuations
- 2 California towns only reachable by boat after floods
- Rescuers search Dead Sea for students swept away by flash flood
- Deemed low priority, Panther Island is now in long queue for federal funding
- Dorian Triggers Massive Flooding in Bahamas; at Least 5 Dead
- Landslides, Floods Kill Over 22 People In Kerala, India
- WATCH: Typhoon Hato Triggers Heavy Flooding in Hong Kong, Halts Stock Trading
- Fierce Hurricane Willa Closes in on Mexican Resort Area
- East Coast Tidal Flooding Could Triple By 2030
- Lynchburg, Virginia, Flooded As College Lake Dam Failure Possibility Prompts Evacuations [Photos]
- State is ready for floods — and people should be, too, Minnesota leaders say
- Alberto loses steam, now dumps rain, raises flash floods risks
- Hurricane Florence downgraded despite getting BIGGER and threatening catastrophic flooding with up to 40inches of rain
- Harris County Flood Control District beginning $84 million in repairs
- Flood Control District working on repairs to Harvey-damaged infrastructure
- Houston-area voters OK $2.5B to guard against another Harvey
- Death toll rises to 21 in Jordan flood
Sediments, low-lying areas among the causes of floods in Kuala Lumpur have 392 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at May 26, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.