Reuters filepix for illustration purpose only
KUCHING (May 18): The Sarawak state government will formulate a Climate Change Policy in line with Malaysia’s commitment to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions under the 12th Malaysia Plan (12MP).
Sarawak's Deputy Minister of Energy and Environmental Sustainability Dr Hazland Abang Hipni said the policy, which would focus on green energy sources such as hydropower, solar energy and hydrogen, would be drafted after a climate change study under 12MP is completed.
"From the study we hope to get the guidelines on GHG emissions according to sectors, namely, energy, transportation, industrial and agricultural, as well as through change in land use and waste management.
“As globally, the focus in currently on sustainable development, the implementation of Sarawak’s upcoming development projects will come with its own costs, especially the impact on the environment and biodiversity conservation,” he said in a statement here on Wednesday (May 18).
In addition, Dr Hazland said the study on the policy was also expected to provide an action plan to mitigate and adapt to climate change impacts.
“As such, we need to pursue sustainable development so that society has a better future including a clean environment, a sustainable level of development without excessive waste and pollution, with natural resources and biodiversity protected and conserved,” he added.
- Prime Minister says he has 'drawn a line' under decade of Australia lagging on climate change, as nation steps up commitment
- In hottest city on Earth, mothers bear brunt of climate change
- Mothers at the searing edge of climate change in this hottest city on Earth
- MIT Scientists Propose Space Bubbles to Reverse the Worst of Climate Change
- Jharkhand climate change meet discusses ‘just transition’ to coal-free future
- IFAD supports Vietnam’s agriculture and rural development to respond to climate change
- Want to fight climate change? Look in your fridge | Opinion
- In Deep Shit: Climate Change is Forcing Indian Farmers to Grow Food in Sewage Water
- Southern Company Knew About Climate Change for Decades While Funding Climate Denial, Report Finds
- Singapore's dengue 'emergency' is a climate change omen for the world
- Food security: How to deal with effects of climate change on Indian agriculture
- He quit Google to work on climate change. Now, he’s helping others do the same thing
- California Governor Newsom and Michael Bloomberg announce plan to use satellite to track climate change
- Climate change puts mental health and well-being at risk: WHO
- WSJ: WHI so Obsessed with Climate Change, Ignores Real Health Threats
- European Right Rallies to Defeat Europhiles in Climate Crazy Policy Votes
- International Laws Inadequate to Absorb People Migrating Due to Climate Change: IIT Madras Research
- Tackling floods, carbon deals part of MyCAC plan to fight climate change, says PM
- What is greenwashing? Businesses pledge climate change action—sometimes to cover up unsustainable practices
- 'The house is still on fire': Thunberg says planting trees is not enough to stop climate change
Sarawak to formulate climate change policy have 468 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.