TAIPING (May 22): The Ministry of Health (MOH) does not encourage alternative treatment methods such as using turmeric powder or "semambu" (neem) leaves to treat hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).
Deputy Health Minister Datuk Dr Noor Azmi Ghazali said instead, people were advised to see a doctor if they have symptoms of infection.
"The MOH does not encourage alternative treatment because it has not been determined from a scientific point of view, and there is no specific treatment from a scientific point of view to treat the disease.
"We are also concerned about the symptoms of dehydration. Hence, children with HFMD need to drink enough water. If not then it should be given intravenously and taken to hospital," he told reporters when met at the Aidilfitri open house at his residence here on Sunday (May 22).
On May 17, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah was reported to have said that the number of HFMD cases in the country had increased at an alarming rate of 15 times, to 31,661 as of May 14, compared with only 2,121 cases reported in the same period last year.
Dr Noor Hisham said that a total of 7,526 cases were recorded during the epidemiological week (ME 19/2022) which ended on May 14 alone, an increase of 349% compared with the previous ME with only 1,676 cases reported nationwide.
- Best hair loss treatment for men: Pumpkin seed oil boosts hair growth by 40 percent
- How Norway is offering drug-free treatment to people with psychosis
- Davina McCall thrilled as menopause documentary encourages women to seek professional help
- Hair loss treatment: Quercitrin stimulates hair growth by encouraging ‘anagen' phase
- COVID infusion treatment centers near me, where to receive monoclonal antibody therapy
- A six-month wait for dental treatment?
- Hair loss treatment: Iron is ‘very important’ for hair growth - how to top up your levels
- Community sites help drug addicts access treatment services
- Covid treatment: Vitamin D has shown to help reduce serious fatalities by 60 percent
- Call to popularise alternative dispute resolution methods
- Opinion: I used to be an elite athlete. I understand Simone Biles's struggle
- International Epilepsy Day: Epilepsy Causes, Symptoms, Triggers, Risk factors & Treatment
- Do not delay cancer treatment, say doctors
- Health Benefits Of Mango Ginger And Its Uses: How Is It Different From Ginger?
- Does dandruff cause hair loss? The truths and treatment myths behind dandruff
- Banana Leaves: Medicinal Benefits And Traditional Uses
- Vietnam sets to significantly cut use of single-use plastics by 2025
- Daily Covid testing could be used in workplaces to end 'pingdemic' self-isolation chaos, top expert says
- Union ministry asks NHAI to use fly ash for road construction
- Traditional medicine used to treat Covid-19 patients
MOH: Use of alternative treatment for HFMD not encouraged have 424 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.