This will be a big week for the retail sector, with fresh data and earnings due.
On Tuesday, the Commerce Department is likely to show retail sales were up 0.8% in April, following a 0.6% gain the month before. The data comes after the University of Michigan's Consumer Sentiment Index slumped to its lowest level in nearly 11 years in May, as worries about inflation persist.
Also on Tuesday, Walmart is expected to report a fall in first-quarter profit, hurt by higher shipping and other supply chain costs. On Wednesday, Target is similarly expected to report a fall in first-quarter earnings hurt by higher shipping, warehousing and labor costs. Comments on consumer demand and inflation will also be in focus.
Home improvement chains Home Depot and Lowe's will post their results on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. Analysts are projecting a decline in first-quarter revenue as higher mortgage rates and prices weigh on customers.
So far this year, Walmart ( WMT ) shares are up 2.4%, while Target ( TGT ) shares are down over 5%. Home Depot ( HD ) shares are nearly 28% lower, and Lowe's ( LOW ) shares are down 24% so far this year.
“We need to pay attention to not only how much consumers are spending at these stores, but what we are spending our money on. Are we buying high-ticket items, or hitting the bargain bin? If it’s the latter, retail sales and the profitability of these companies will suffer,” suggested Caleb Silver, Editor-in-Chief of Investopedia.
- Apparel Retail Stocks in 2015: Top Gainers and Losers
- Ring up profits with these three traditional retail stocks
- Dick's Sporting Goods shares surge as retailer raises earnings forecast
- The 3 Best Retail Stocks of 2018 (So Far)
- Slow Earnings Growth, Dim Forecasts Weigh on Stocks
- Meet the Omnishopper: Retailers’ New Target
- 5 Retail Apparel Stocks to Watch
- Infor’s INOM Helps Ready Retailers for Tomorrow’s Fulfillment Reality
- Why RH Stock Jumped 12% Last Month
- Markets Right Now: Stocks close higher, extending gains
- iRobot (IRBT) Q1 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Trex (TREX) Q1 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Why Best Buy Co Inc Stock Sank Today
- Conagra Brands, Inc. (CAG) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- IPO market posts blistering first half
- The 5 Best S&P 500 High-Dividend Stocks of 2018 (So Far)
- 3 Reasons to Be Hopeful of a Target Stock Turnaround
- Stocks waver, dollar slips as traders shrug off trade talk
- United Financial Bancorp (UBNK) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Wall St. set for higher open on healthy earnings, lira rebound
Markets to Focus on Retail Stock Earnings have 392 words, post on www.investopedia.com at May 16, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.