Anthony Loke (The Edge filepix)
GEORGE TOWN (May 20): DAP had not been involved in discussions with non-Pakatan Harapan (PH) parties, as its focus now was on consolidating itself for the 15th general election (GE15), party secretary-general Anthony Loke said.
He said scenarios such as the possibility of working with Perikatan Nasional (PN) under a "big tent" approach to ensure straight fights with Barisan Nasional (BN) in the next polls had never been raised.
"No talks with Bersatu (Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia) and (PN), what's important is for us to strengthen our parties (DAP and PH). It is also not the right time for seat allocation discussions with non-PH parties," Loke told reporters in a joint press conference with party vice-chairman Chow Kon Yeow here on Friday (May 20).
He said DAP and PH's focus was to defend their seats and states under PH rule, namely Penang, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan, adding also that DAP relies on its coalition partners to ensure comfortable majority wins.
Separately, Loke said that in-depth discussions and discourse were key to addressing the issue of rising food prices, and believes that the government's move to do away with approved permits (AP) to import food was not a solution.
Loke said he will instruct his policy adviser Tony Pua to draft a policy paper on inflation and the rising prices of goods.
- Warisan looking at kingmaker role as its number of reps strengthens in Sabah assembly
- Tok Mat leads war cry for GE15
- We met with Muhyiddin, but not to discuss him becoming PM, says Anwar
- Six states say no to snap polls
- AAP's Next Focus On Rajasthan, To Hold 2-Day Convention From March 26
- Anthony Loke is new DAP secretary-general; Lim Guan Eng made chairman
- BN, PN still enjoying good ties at govt level, says Annuar Musa
- Gerakan to remain with PN for any election, says party president
- DAP wants a definite date on tabling of anti-hopping law, says secretary-general
- Delegates of Wings want UMNO leadership to reach consensus on GE15 soon
- PM: Decision on GE15 will be discussed by Umno's Top 5
- Our focus is on strengthening demand so jobs are created by default, says Manish Sisodia
- China Says It 'Opposes Unilateral Actions' that Complicate Kashmir Issue in Strategic Meet with Pakistan
- Live updates: Biden says action will reveal Russia’s intent
- Ukraine: Germany expels Russian diplomats with Bucha deaths in focus — live updates
- Stefanik says becoming a mother made her 'more effective leader,' says moms in Congress 'on a mission'
- Ukraine: Biden says Putin comment was 'outrage' not 'policy' — live updates
- Ukraine: Biden says Putin comment was 'outrage' not 'policy' — as it happened
- Russia takes on U.S. Syria claims, says it will join Iran "in the fight against evil"
- Full-time deputies meet to prepare for next NA meeting
GE15: No discussions with PN, DAP's focus on strengthening party, says Loke have 460 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at May 21, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.