PADANG BESAR: Most chicken traders in Perlis have started rationing their sales following the producers’ action to halt operations temporarily, said to be due to the weight of chickens produced by the farms not meeting the standard requirements to be marketed.
Perlis Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) director Dr Adam Abdullah Kwan said the move to ration the sale of chicken was implemented by the traders themselves, to enable more customers to have the opportunity to obtain chicken supplies.
“The rationing is carried out by the traders themselves and not from the enforcement officer's instructions. I was informed that the producers will supply 13,000 chickens to traders in the state today," he told Bernama when contacted.
A chicken trader, Ismanizam Ismail, 40, when met, said that he faced problems when the producers could not supply the chickens according to the amount ordered.
“I ordered 200 chickens but only received 20. During Aidilfitri celebrations in previous years, I could usually sell 1,000 chickens, but this year's Aidilfitri I only sold 150 chickens," he said.
He said he experienced the lowest chicken supply this year since the Chinese New Year celebrations in February.
Another chicken trader, Wan Shahrul Wan Choh, 31, said he did not trade yesterday because he did not receive the chicken supply as ordered.
“Perhaps, there is a supply of chicken but the producers are holding back the (stock of) chickens," he said.
He also said that the supply of chicken for the Aidiladha celebration was uncertain and he was concerned that there would be no supply.
A customer, Rogayah Ali, 38, said that she had to go to two or three shops to find and buy chicken, to enable her to sell her 'pulut ayam'.
“Once, I had to close my business for up to three days because I could not get the chicken supply," she said. – Bernama
- Food Shortages Cripple Bolivia, New Elections Still Uncertain
- City ensures supply of essential goods for Tet
- Centre gives 1-year deadline to states for rolling out ‘one nation, one ration card'
- GenCos threaten to shut down power generation supply
- Chart of the Day: Nike sales rise as Colin Kaepernick ad prompts some to burn their shoes
- Eat the Old: Could Mass Cannibalism Solve a Future Food Shortage?
- LIVESTOCK-Hog futures drop on large supply, U.S.-China trade war jitters
- City ensures supply of essential goods for Tết
- No removing subsidy, says FG as fuel shortage worsens nationwide
- Food shortages cripple Bolivia, new elections still uncertain
- Novartis-Aventis row leads to shortage of anti-rabies vaccine
- US Automakers Face Parts Shortage Amid Rising Car Output
- Lynas shares surge again as China threatens rare earths supply to US
- U.S. pork prices rise as fatal pig disease cuts global meat supply: Tyson Foods CEO
- Amazon Black Friday Deals 2019: Best Deals, Ads, & Sales
- Nigerian bank customers as beast of burden
- Swine fever may affect pork for several years
- Underground water overexploitation in HCMC causes serious subsidence
- Fish prices crash; Feed cos close as fish meal industry protests 5% GST
- Derelict North Bondi home sells for $500k above reserve after bidding war
Chicken supply shortage prompts traders in Perlis to ration sales have 499 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.