Finance Minister NIrmala Sitharaman | Illustration: Moneycontrol
India has already started buying oil from Russia, since it has come at a discount at a time when the country needs it, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has said.
“We have received quite a number of barrels. I would think about 3-4 days of (national) supply. I would put my country’s national interest and energy security first,” Sitharaman said at the 17th edition of the CNBC-TV18 India Business Leaders Awards. If fuel is available at a discount, why shouldn’t India buy it, the finance minister stressed.
Sitharaman’s comments come on a day when Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is in New Delhi to discuss a range of issues, among which India’s oil purchases from Russia, and a new proposed Rupee-Rouble trading mechanism, figure majorly.
However, Sitharaman said the global economic climate has been impacted by the Ukraine crisis and that she was entering the new financial year with ‘cautious optimism’.
Sitharaman said her target for the new year remained on infrastructure spending. The government had increased capital expenditure by over 35 percent y-o-y, and a proposed infrastructure spend of over Rs 10 lakh crore in Budget 2022 -23.
Domestic investment growth
- US wants India to stop oil imports from Iran by November
- India among most dangerous countries for women, says poll
- US Asks India to Stop Oil Imports From Iran by Nov 4, Threatens Sanctions
- Will take steps to ensure energy security not comprised: MEA on oil import from Iran
- India offers huge opportunity for US energy sector: Perry
- US asks India to end oil imports from Iran by Nov 4
- Russian oil imports to beef up PH stocks
- A New Chapter in the Saudi-Russian Oil Alliance (Op-ed)
- OPEC+ to boost oil output after Saudis secure deal with Iran
- State Bank Of India To Stop Handling Iran Oil Payments: Indian Oil Corp
- ‘India preparing for cut in oil imports from Iran’
- Commodities watch: Crude oil market tightens more, prices have upsides
- India, China likely to form oil buyers club to cut OPEC’s dominance
- India, Indonesia agree to triple bilateral trade to $50 billion
- Oil firms impose hefty price cut
- United States approves sale of Apache attack choppers to India
- Pope puts leading oil executives on notice
- US approves sale of 6 Apache attack helicopters to India for $930 million
- Saudi king agreed to raise oil output up to 2m barrels: Trump
- Baroness Nicholson: Oil and gas industry cornerstone of UK’s commercial relations with Azerbaijan [UPDATE]
India buying Russian oil: I will put my country's national interest, energy security first: FM Sitharaman have 611 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at April 1, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.