Melbourne, Australia ● Tue, January 18 2022
A nervous Naomi Osaka opened the defense of her Australian Open title with a hard-fought 6-3, 6-3 win against Colombia’s Camila Osorio, but stumbled mid-match after winning the first five games.
The Japanese former world number one pulled out of a warm-up event in Melbourne before the tournament after three matches, saying her “body got a shock” after playing for the first time in four months.
She showed few ill-effects in beating her 50th-ranked opponent on Rod Laver Arena, but it was far from clinical.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Konta through to Australian Open second round with comfortable win over Brengle
- Djokovic withstands Melbourne heat to progress to Australian Open third round
- Upbeat Sharapova remaining ‘realistic’ as she clears Australian Open first round
- Kyle Edmund cruises past Istomin to reach Australian Open third round
- Australian Open to look at heat policy
- Novak Djokovic cruises to first-round win at Australian Open
- Rafael Nadal cruises into Australian Open last 16
- Aisamul Haq crashes out of Australian Open
- Big names make progress at the Australian Open
- Konta kicks off Australian Open campaign with comfortable win over Brengle
- Grigor Dimitrov comes through Australian Open rollercoaster
- Kyle Edmund beats Grigor Dimitrov to continue Australian Open run
- Australian Open – day nine wrap
- Roger Federer maintains perfect record to reach Australian Open quarter-finals
- Caroline Wozniacki sets up Australian Open semi-final clash with Elise Mertens
- Chung Hyeon retirement puts Roger Federer through to Australian Open final
- Nadal pleased with impressive start to Australian Open campaign
- Roger Federer eases into semi-finals of Australian Open
- Holiday hit sets up Roger Federer and Marin Cilic for Australian Open final
- Umpire Keothavong in firing line at Australian Open
Osaka cruises to Australian Open 2nd round have 319 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 18, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.