KUALA LUMPUR: #TangkapAzamBaki protesters started gathering at the Bangsar LRT Station as early 10.30am yesterday.
Wearing black, they came with posters calling for action against Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki over his share-trading controversy.
Soon after, they started chanting slogans calling for the arrest of Azam just as a convoy of Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) trucks was seen heading to the scene.
Then they started walking from the LRT station toward the Jalan Travers-Jalan Bangsar intersection at around 11.15am, just as the FRU convoy was seen heading back toward the Brickfields police headquarters.
The protesters arrived at the intersection where police Light Strike Force (LSF) personnel formed a human barricade. They then held a 15-minute sit-down protest in front of the police before heading back to the LRT station.
They sang the Negaraku before dispersing at about 12.45pm.
Activist Adam Adli Abdul Halim said the rally was peaceful with no untoward incidents.
"The demonstration was a success. Even with the excessive reaction from the authorities, hundreds still gathered to show their support.
"We will continue with the campaign," he said.
- Lunar New Year fair poster leads to safety concerns about pro-independence activities
- Dalit members ‘cleanse’ Ambedkar statue after tributes by Maneka, BJP leaders
- Dalit members 'cleanse' Ambedkar statue after tributes by Maneka
- Dalits 'cleanse' Ambedkar's statue after Maneka Gandhi pays tribute
- Dalits 'cleanse' Ambedkar statue after tributes by Maneka, BJP leaders
- Gujarat: Dalits 'cleanse' Ambedkar's statue after Maneka Gandhi pays tribute
- Pakistani authorities myopic on approach to PTM
- Many a slip ‘twixt the cup and the lip’
- Amid allegations against Lauer and Brokaw, NBC faces doubts on harassment reforms
- ‘Jirgas settle dispute among rivals, not between state and citizens’
- Effigy burning in PH, rallies-turned-violent mark Labor Day worldwide
- Pakistan denies Sikh pilgrims access to Indian consular team
- Ann Curry says she warned NBC about Matt Lauer in 2012
No untoward incidents at gathering have 306 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at January 23, 2022. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.