NAIROBI (AFP) – More than 20 people drowned on Saturday (Dec 4) when a bus travelling to a wedding in Kenya was swept away by fast-flowing waters as it tried to cross a flooded river.
Onlookers screamed as the yellow school bus hired to take a church choir and other revellers to the ceremony in Kitui County keeled over and sank as the driver tried to navigate the surging waters.
Some aboard the stricken bus managed to escape before the bus was quickly submerged, and were helped to safety.
“We have this terrible, terrible accident that happened here this morning,” Kitui governor Charity Ngilu told reporters.
“The bodies that have already been retrieved right now are over 23. We have more bodies in the bus,” she said, adding that efforts to recover the corpses would resume on Sunday morning.
She said 12 people had been rescued, including four children.
It remains unclear how many passengers were aboard the bus when it tipped into the Enziu River, about 200km east of the capital Nairobi.
Witnesses said the driver had stopped to negotiate the river, and was close to the other side when the bus was swept beneath the churning currents.
Deputy President William Ruto was among those to extend his condolences, and also urged motorists to apply extra caution on the roads with many parts of Kenya experiencing heavy rain.
- 2 women drown in back of police van swept away by Florence flooding
- 13 killed in France as people swept away by raging torrents
- At least 20 killed after heavy flooding in southern Afghanistan
- Corporal Evyatar Yosefi dies after being swept away by Hilazon River
- Review: Allow yourself to be swept away by 'Red Bike'
- Nebraska flooding: Towns turned to islands in historic flood WIPEOUT
- Two killed in record-levels of floods in Nebraska
- Thousands flee US flooding triggered by 'bomb cyclone'
- Nebraska farmer trying to save others killed in flooding
- Residents rescued amid historic flooding across Midwest
- The Latest: 2 flooded California towns remain inaccessible
- The Latest: Flooding damages 60 buildings at Air Force base
- Historic, deadly Midwest flooding forces thousands to evacuate
- Dramatic Footage Shows 200-Year-Old Pub Washed Away In Floods
- More Evacuations In Midwest As Missouri River Floods Through Levees
- ‘A State of Emergency’: Native Americans Stranded for Days by Flooding
- Iran flooding leaves at least 21 dead, and more rain on the way
- Australia flood crisis continues as PM visits stricken Queensland area
- Death toll in Mozambique cyclone, flooding could rise above 1,000
- 'We should brace ourselves:' Death toll tops 600 in Africa cyclone flooding
More than 20 drown as bus crossing flooded river in Kenya is swept away have 430 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at December 5, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.