NAIROBI (AFP) – More than 20 people drowned on Saturday (Dec 4) when a bus travelling to a wedding in Kenya was swept away by fast-flowing waters as it tried to cross a flooded river.
Onlookers screamed as the yellow school bus hired to take a church choir and other revellers to the ceremony in Kitui County keeled over and sank as the driver tried to navigate the surging waters.
Some aboard the stricken bus managed to escape before the bus was quickly submerged, and were helped to safety.
“We have this terrible, terrible accident that happened here this morning,” Kitui governor Charity Ngilu told reporters.
“The bodies that have already been retrieved right now are over 23. We have more bodies in the bus,” she said, adding that efforts to recover the corpses would resume on Sunday morning.
She said 12 people had been rescued, including four children.
It remains unclear how many passengers were aboard the bus when it tipped into the Enziu River, about 200km east of the capital Nairobi.
Witnesses said the driver had stopped to negotiate the river, and was close to the other side when the bus was swept beneath the churning currents.
Deputy President William Ruto was among those to extend his condolences, and also urged motorists to apply extra caution on the roads with many parts of Kenya experiencing heavy rain.
- Searchers find body of woman apparently swept away in creek
- Conway family mourns loss of toddler swept away by Skagit River currents
- ‘It was simply an accident’: Conway family gets both support, criticism while mourning loss of toddler swept away by Skagit River
- ‘It was simply an accident’: Grieving Conway family gets both support, criticism after toddler is swept away by Skagit River
- Former deputies charged in deaths of women who drowned in transport van during Hurricane Florence
- This Week Around the World – Jan. 14–20:
- UPDATE: Officers to be charged after 2 patients drowned in van
- South Carolina officers to be charged after two patients drowned in van
- ‘There was no escape from the wave’: These are the 21 victims of the Great Boston Molasses Flood
- How mudslides and rivers of debris could suddenly hit California cities
- Ex-South Carolina deputies to be charged in mental patients' drownings
- Officers charged criminally after 2 women drowned in van
- More asylum seekers crossing US-Mexico border come from far-flung lands
- Top Stories of 2018: Heavy Rain Led To River Floods And Damage
- Ohio Valley Top 10: No. 3 — Heavy Rain Led To River Floods And Damage
- 5 questions you may have about Boston’s deadly Great Molasses Flood, answered
- Keystone XL Pipeline: Montana tribes worry about Missouri, Milk rivers
- ‘Atmospheric river’ to soak Bay Area, blanket Sierra with snow
- 2 dead, 44 injured in bus accident near Memphis
- New Year's Storm Expected to Flood Some Southeast Rivers
More than 20 drown as bus crossing flooded river in Kenya is swept away have 476 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at December 5, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.