KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 3): The Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) is leaving the decision to the Ministry of Health (MOH) on whether to allow or othewise the holding of 2022 Defence Services Asia (DSA) Exhibition and 2022 National Security Asia (NATSEC) international exhibitions in March, if the Covid-19 Omicron variant cases go up in the country.
Senior Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein on Friday (Dec 3) said currently, MINDEF still does not know the details concerning the variant and its effects on those infected and those who were vaccinated.
He said MINDEF would channel to MOH if it obtained any detailed information on the variant.
"…because we have given the mandate to MOH to make the announcement (on 2022 DSA and 2022 NATSEC) without referring to the Covid-19 Quartet Meeting on Omicron and on our part, to take them to the special conference to be chaired by Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob).
"This is because the proliferation and development of Omicron is very fast and actually, there is no waiting time for a meeting.
"Since it is on the issue of health, we will leave it to the Health Minister (Khairy Jamaluddin) to announce," he said at a media conference with the Minister of Home Affairs Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin, after launching 2022 DSA and 2022 NATSEC here.
In addition, he also expressed the hope to hold the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA'23) but currently, the focus has been given to 2022 DSA and NATSEC first.
"It is my hope (to hold LIMA'23) but we still have time and what we want to see now is that this DSA (and NAITSEC) can be realised and if we can do (them) successfully (in March next year), I feel we can make preparations for LIMA'23.
"We are all aware that the challenges of LIMA is much bigger and we don't know what will transpire in two years from now vis-a-vis the proliferation of Covid-19," he added.
- Goa Congress leader seeks Supreme Court to decide disqualification plea against MLAs
- Sourav Ganguly discharged from hospital | 'I will be ready to fly soon, says BCCI president
- U-turn: BJP MP Vasava says he will withdraw resignation
- Judge dismisses Gohmert's attempt to force Pence to decide election results
- BCCI decides to part ways with long-term IPL events rights holder IMG
- BJP MP Tejasvi Surya says move to name roads after Muslims reeks of two-nation theory mentality
- Waikeria Prison surrender: Family members claim complaints about 'disgusting' conditions made, despite Corrections saying otherwise
- Five years of tax rises and spending cuts: Britain will have to fill £46BILLION black hole to get debt under control after Rishi Sunak admits economy won't recover from covid until the END of 2022 with unemployment set to hit 2.6m
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 1
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 10
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 29
- No evidence that vaccines will not work against new COVID variant: Centre
- In next Budget Session, Odisha government to repeal over 200 obsolete laws
- Top business stories of 2020: A year that saw a decade of job growth erased in one month
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Mastercard - Coast-to-coast fears about post-holiday COVID-19 spread
- Sports news feed: Mauricio Pochettino new PSG head coach
- Sports news feed: Borussia Dortmund face Paderborn in German Cup draw
- Sports news feed: Australian Open facing legal challenge over quarantine plans
- Towering injustice: Millions are stuck with fire-trap homes after Grenfell blaze... and they are being hit by £2bn bill for safety work and insurance
- Sports news feed: Calls for boycott of Saudi Dakar Rally
MoH to decide whether to allow 2022 DSA, NATSEC, says Hishammuddin have 592 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at December 4, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.