(Dec 8): Kingspan and Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One racing team ended a partnership deal after protests from families of victims of the Grenfell Tower fire in London.
The outcry followed the announcement a sponsorship deal last week allowing the building products maker to put its logo on world champion Lewis Hamilton's car.
"We are deeply aware of the sensitivities raised in recent days, and so we have jointly agreed that it's not appropriate to move forward at the current point in time," Kingspan said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team and Kingspan today announced that they have mutually agreed to end their partnership with immediate effect.
— Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team (@MercedesAMGF1) December 8, 2021
Survivors and family members of victims of the 2017 blaze condemned the deal last week and asked the team to end the relationship. Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff had apologised in a statement and vowed to meet with survivors as soon as possible.
Experts believe the residential fire, which killed 72 people, was caused by flammable materials used in an exterior renovation. Kingspan has repeatedly said that it was not a supplier of the cladding that caused the fire and says its insulation was used without its knowledge.
- Sir Frank Williams and daughter Claire step down from F1 team following £136m sale in end to 43-year family dynasty
- Renault to be known as Alpine F1 Team from 2021 season
- Bernie Ecclestone NOT mysterious buyer of Williams F1 team amid confusion over £136m takeover
- 'Business as usual' for Williams after F1 team's takeover
- New Williams F1 team owner has no links to Ecclestone
- Huawei ends 9-year-old sponsorship deal with Australian rugby team
- Mercedes F1 spent $442 million in 2019 but still made money
- Motor racing-Mercedes F1 spent $442 million in 2019 but still made money
- Belgian GP: Mercedes F1 ready to tackle 'unfinished business' at Spa
- Huawei quits oldest sports sponsorship deal after 9 years
- Williams drivers call family’s exit from F1 team "a sad day"
- Sir Frank and Claire Williams to leave roles at Williams F1 team
- Alonso admits he has offers from rival F1 teams
- How F1 teams really performed in 2018
- F1 Belgian Grand Prix 2020 LIVE: Sainz OUT with exhaust failure, Hamilton smashes TRACK RECORD for pole – latest updates
- F1 schedule 2020: Formula One calendar with Belgian Grand Prix up next at Spa-Francorchamps
- Opinion: Who’s in the race to become F1’s next boss?
- F1 Belgian Grand Prix 2020 LIVE RESULTS: Hamilton WINS again, Bottas second, Ferraris struggle – latest updates
- Ferrari not really prancing on the F1 track
- Belgian GP: Lewis Hamilton feels for lone F1 challenger Max Verstappen
Mercedes F1 team ends sponsorship deal after Grenfell fire outcry have 418 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at December 9, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.