KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 2): Southeast Asia's leading super-app Grab Holdings Ltd, with the ticker "GRAB", celebrated its milestone US public listing on Thursday with Nasdaq's first-ever opening bell ceremony hosted in the region.
The ceremony held in Singapore, which was attended by Grab employees as well as driver-, delivery- and merchant-partners, came after the nine-year-old ride-hailing and delivery firm announced its US$40 billion (RM169.2 billion) merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
The firm had in April this year merged with a US tech investor Altimeter Capital Management’s SPAC, Altimeter Growth Corp, and raised US$4.5 billion, including US$750 million from Altimeter.
In his speech, Nasdaq chairman of Asia-Pacific Bob McCooey said this was the largest-ever US public listing by a Southeast Asian company.
"I can see why Grab has grown into a household name and the number one super-app in Southeast Asia. Having spent the last few days in Singapore, I've tried booking a ride, ordering food delivery, and paying with GrabPay. I'm liking this one-app-for-all experience!
"More importantly, I respect companies like Grab that empower people, and I'm glad to meet with Grab's drivers and merchants who are here today as examples of how technology can be used to grow businesses and earning opportunities," he said.
McCooey said that Thursday’s milestone is a testament to the hard work of everyone at Grab and for their passion to innovate and lead greater digital opportunities in Southeast Asia.
Grab group chief executive officer and co-founder Anthony Tan said it is important for the ride-hailing and delivery firm not to lose sight of what this was all built on — "the heart and hard work of our Grabbers to serve our partners, and in turn, the dedication of our partners towards serving their customers."
"That's why we chose to hold the ceremony close to home. To be here, amongst our community, sharing the moment with them as we cross the threshold into a new chapter of our journey," he said during the ceremony.
Tan and his co-founder Tan Hooi Ling (not related) were joined onstage during the opening bell with representatives of Grab driver-, delivery- and merchant-partner communities, who were on the frontlines transporting people, preparing as well as delivering food and essential goods, especially during critical stay-home pandemic periods.
In recognition of the collective effort and continued partnership of the Grab community to reach this milestone, about 1,500 Grab employees, as well as representatives from Grab's partner communities, from across Southeast Asia was featured on the Nasdaq Tower in Times Square, New York City, after Grab officially listed on Nasdaq.
From its first office based in Segambut here, Grab's Nasdaq listing has set a high benchmark for startups in the Southeast Asia.
- Inside Delta's £3k business class cabin from London to New York – then returning in economy (and missing the posh-seat perks from the gourmet pork sandwiches to Hi-Fi headphones)
- New York Media to Triple Books Coverage Across Sites Including Vulture and the Cut
- Katie Holmes and Emilio Vitolo Jr. take a romantic stroll in New York City after making their relationship Instagram official
- COVID In New York: Staten Island Reopens Coronavirus Field Hospital Not Used Since Peak Of Pandemic
- New York State Gives Bills Permission to Host Limited Number of Fans for Wild Card Playoff
- Covid-19: No crowd allowed for New Year’s Eve celebrations at Times Square
- France mobilises 100,000 COPS to smash illegal New Year’s Eve celebrations as the world goes into Covid shutdown
- Katie Holmes, 42, looks like an average New Yorker as she wears jeans while grabbing an Uber... after holding hands with Emilio Vitolo Jr, 33
- Katie Holmes' new beau Emilio Vitolo Jr. takes a break between shifts to chat with customers at his restaurant Emilio's Ballato
- Amir Khan and Faryal Makhdoom celebrate anniversary after overcoming rocky romance
- The sanity list: 47 discoveries that have been getting us through the pandemic
- U.S. Ushers in New Year With 20M COVID Cases, Accounting for Nearly 25% of World's Total
- Peter Beard the celebrated photographer and legendary Lothario who discovered supermodel Iman, bedded Lee Radziwill and partied at Studio 54 with the Rolling Stones is found dead after 19 days missing
- Happy New Lockdown! Just 4% of Britons say they WILL break Covid rules to celebrate with friends tonight despite government pleas to stay at home as police launch crackdown on illegal street parties and Trafalgar Square is fenced off
- These Hotels Are Ringing in the New Year With Covid-Safe Parties, But Who’s Booking a Stay?
- NSW records 10 new coronavirus cases - including five linked to the Northern Beaches cluster, three in the inner-west and one mystery infection
- Celebrity deaths 2020 – all the stars who died last year
- U.S. Federal Holidays 2021: Full List and Calendar As Americans Get Extra Day of Holiday
- COVID Vaccine: New Jersey Nursing Home Residents, Staff Receive First Doses
- 'I am my mother's son': Harry uses a photo of Diana and vows to 'unleash the power of compassion' with Meghan on new website for foundation that reveals partnerships with Stanford 'centre for altruism research' and 'humane technology' charity
From Segambut to New York: Grab celebrates listing milestone have 852 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at December 3, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.