LONDON (REUTERS) – British cyclist Mark Cavendish was assaulted by four armed men during a burglary at his home last month, Essex Police said on Wednesday (Dec 8).
Cavendish, 36, said on Instagram that he, his wife and their children were threatened at knifepoint and he was “violently attacked” in the early hours of Nov 27 at his home, in the Ongar area of Essex.
Essex Police are investigating the incident, which they said left the family “incredibly shaken”.
A suitcase and two watches of high value were stolen, the statement added, and no arrests have yet been made.
None of the family sustained serious injuries.
Detective Inspector Tony Atkin said it was “undoubtedly” a targeted incident as Cavendish was recovering from broken ribs and a collapsed lung after a crash in the Six Days of Ghent track meeting in Belgium.
“This incident has left our family extremely distressed – not just myself and Peta but our children as well, who feared for their lives and are now struggling with the after-effects,” Cavendish said.
“No one should have to experience the sort of violence and threats made against us, let alone this happening in a family home – a place where everyone should feel safe.”
Cavendish enjoyed a remarkable return to form this year, sprinting to four stage wins at the Tour de France to equal the record of 34 set by Belgian great Eddy Merckx.
He signed a one-year contract extension with Deceuninck Quick-Step on Tuesday.
- Tour de France 2016, stage four: Mark Cavendish fans flames of '3km rule' row
- Did Jacob Blake have a warrant out for his arrest after sexual assault charges?
- One of four brothers charged with the sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in Geelong SMILES as he leaves court after being freed on bail because case is 'a little bit sketchy'
- Drunk venture capitalist, 26, who boasted about his good looks to police tried to sexually assault terrified woman he grabbed and attempted to kiss at Christmas party, court hears
- Jacob Blake was wanted for sex assault and had a knife when he was shot, Kenosha cops claim
- Americans divided over armed civilians who flock to protests
- Heavily armed Trump supporters in combat gear clash with BLM protesters marching for Breonna Taylor in Louisville on Kentucky Derby day - while fans start to arrive at Churchill Downs
- Houston residents struggle as America's evictions crisis hits home
- Prison has become home to more female inmates
- Inside Harry Maguire's £29k-a-week Mykonos villa: Luxury eight-bed waterfront property where Man U captain stayed before Greek cop assault is revealed as more pictures emerge of his boozy holiday
- Assault and break-ins in Ballyhalbert and Portavogie being linked
- A THIRD off taxpayer-funded e-bikes, bicycles on the NHS and free servicing: Boris Johnson unveils cycling revolution as part of a £2billion drive to tackle obesity
- Hurricane Laura becomes a 115mph Category 3 as it churns toward Louisiana and Texas and threatens to smash homes and sink entire communities as more than half a million people flee
- Sri Lanka Accused of Raping Tamil Men Years After Civil War Has Ended
- Jury Acquits Leaders In Armed Takeover Of Oregon Wildlife Refuge
- Horror of being attacked by the men supposed to protect you: Reporting a violent partner is traumatic enough but when your abuser is a police officer, it's even harder to get justice... as this chilling exposé reveals
- EXCLUSIVE: Criminal complaint cops used to handcuff paralyzed Jacob Blake to his hospital bed for almost a week is revealed - showing he was accused of domestic abuse and felony sexual assault
- The TRUE spirit of the Blitz: Defiant Britons band together over cups of tea amid smoke and rubble left by devastating Nazi air raids in incredible photos marking 80 years since German bombing campaign
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- ‘My son had left home to find a job with his brother,’ says father of man lynched in Naraina
Cycling: Mark Cavendish assaulted by armed men during burglary at home have 644 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at December 9, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.