The Omicron variant of COVID-19 has probably arrived in Germany, a minister in the western state of Hesse said on Saturday, November 27, after mutations were found in a passenger arriving from South Africa.
“Last night several Omicron-typical mutations were found in a traveler returning from South Africa,” tweeted Kai Klose, social affairs minister in Hesse, home to Frankfurt airport, Germany’s biggest hub and one of Europe’s busiest airports.
He added that a full sequencing of the variant was being carried out and that the person was isolating, and he urged anyone who had traveled from South Africa in the last few weeks to limit contacts and get tested.
The new variant has been found at a time when Germany and many other European countries are grappling with a surge in coronavirus cases.
Germany recorded 67,125 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, the Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases said, and more than 100,000 people have died with COVID-19.
Germany is declaring South Africa a virus-variant area , meaning airlines are allowed to fly only Germans to Germany from South Africa, a source told Reuters on Friday, November 26. Even those who are vaccinated must spend 14 days in quarantine.
Earlier, Dutch health officials said they had detected 61 COVID-19 cases among people who flew from South Africa on Friday and are trying to establish whether any were infected with the Omicron variant. – Rappler.com
- Iraqi murder suspect returned to Germany
- Congo-Kinshasa: Five New Suspected Ebola Cases Reported
- Thorpe case 'was a farce', says ex-suspect
- Did a U.S. Military Vehicle Kill a Boy in Lithuania? It's 'Fake News,' Defense Minister Says
- Make social care free at point of need, ex-ministers say
- Suspect 'confesses' to Germany murder after Iraq arrest
- Crisis averted? Minister says migrant row with Merkel can be overcome
- Armenian-Russian interregional co-op among Armenia’s priorities, minister says
- Chidambaram Questioned By CBI For Nearly 4 Hrs In INX Media Case
- Prime Minister Mottley Says Barbados Will Stick with the CCJ
- Iraqi Kurdish police say man admits to murder of 14-year-old girl in Germany
- Nigeria: U.S. Accuses Govt of Condoning Human Trafficking, Says Nigerians Travel to Togo for Child Sex
- Egypt: Sisi Appoints Ex-Defense Minister As Presidential Aid for Defense Affairs
- East Africa: Regional Leadership Through Ports
- German envoy to Ankara: 'Ice age' between Turkey, Germany put behind
- Anadolu Agency: Top coup suspect strongly suspected to be in Germany
- Germany declines to hand fugitive monk over to Thai police
- Angela Merkel faces power struggle as she moves to block policy to close Germany's border to migrants
- Liberia: The Case of the FIFA Us$50k Ebola Grant
- Building the case against Assad’s regime
Suspected Omicron case found in Germany, regional minister says have 420 words, post on www.rappler.com at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.