TUMPAT (Nov 27): Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob has agreed to the Kelantan government’s request to discuss three matters, namely on oil, state development and water supply, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.
He said the matter was decided after a meeting between the prime minister and Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob, which was also attended by state secretary Datuk Nazran Muhammad last week.
“During the meeting, the menteri besar handed over a letter and the matter is being coordinated and discussed at the federal level. Three issues are raised in the letter, namely oil, development and state water supply.
“The prime minister has ordered the matters to be discussed immediately and [they] are now under consideration by the federal government,” he told reporters after a working visit to Kampung Kelong Hujung here on Saturday (Nov 27).
Mustapa said this when asked on a statement by Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz in Parliament last Thursday that Petronas would not make cash royalty payments to any state in the peninsula, including Kelantan.
Tengku Zafrul said it is because the petroleum production site is operating outside of Kelantan’s waters.
However, Kelantan will continue to receive “wang ehsan” (goodwill payments) for the petroleum produced near its coast.
Meanwhile, Ahmad, when met by reporters at the launch of the state-level Malaysian Family Month at Kompleks Kota Darulnaim in Kota Baru, said the state government would seek a written explanation from the finance minister regarding the matter.
He said the response by Tengku Zafrul was not in line with the federal government’s previous statement on payment of petroleum royalties.
"For the record, the federal government, through the National Finance Council which met on June 7, 2018, had decided to abolish the Wang Ehsan Program and for cash payment for petroleum royalties to be channelled directly to the state government,” he said.
- House adjourns for recess without passing bill to extend federal eviction ban
- What Transparency? Even The Leftist Media Is Slamming The Biden Administration For ‘Border Blackout’
- The Latest: Georgia Gov. orders National Guard to hospitals
- Amazon pays £1,000 bonus to win new workers
- Cover Story: A challenging transition period for Petronas
- Supreme Court ruling on Texas abortion law rattles lawmakers
- Mohammed bin Zayed’s Dark Vision of the Middle East’s Future
- Manika, Sathiyan seek exemption from national camp ahead of Asian C'ships; face non-selection
- Advocates push White House to nominate energy regulator
- Patents: A beginner's guide to intellectual property
Petroleum royalty among three requests by Kelantan being considered by federal govt, says Mustapa have 412 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.