RIO DE JANEIRO (REUTERS) – Former Rio 2016 and Brazilian Olympic Committee president Carlos Arthur Nuzman has been sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics.
The ruling was announced by Judge Marcelo Bretas from the 7th Criminal Court in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday (Nov 25).
The 79-year-old executive, who was the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was found guilty of money laundering, tax evasion, corruption and criminal organisation. Nuzman’s lawyers appealed the sentence and he will stay free until the appeal is heard.
Nuzman, a former honorary IOC member, was first arrested in October 2017 along with his right-hand man, former Rio 2016 director of operations Leonardo Gryner, accused of arranging more than US$2 million (S$2.74 million) in bribes to get the IOC to pick Rio de Janeiro as host of the 2016 Olympics. Rio was awarded the Games in 2009, beating out Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid.
Gryner, former Rio de Janeiro Governor Sergio Cabral and businessman Arthur Cesar de Menezes Soares Filho were also convicted for collaborating to bribe IOC officials. Gryner was sentenced to 13 years and 10 months in jail for corruption and criminal organization.
Cabral, who has been in jail since 2016 for a series of corruption scandals, was sentenced to a further 10 years and eight months. He had given the judge details of the bribery conspiracy after reaching an agreement to disclose sensitive information on other cases.
Cabral told Bretas that he, Nuzman, Soares and Gryner coordinated “to buy the votes” of the former president of the International Association of Athletics Federations, Lamine Diack, and his son, Papa Diack, and others.
- Father-of-two hitman, 29, who accepted a $20,000 contract to shoot an innocent 15-year-old boy in the head as he slept will spend at least 30 years in jail after pleading guilty to murder
- Tanni Grey-Thompson, Sarah Storey and more: The top 10 Paralympians of all time ahead of Rio 2016 Games
- Uganda's Museveni extends 30-year grip on power
- Monroeville Mall Shooting Suspect Sentenced To Up To 30 Years
- South Korea's top court upholds 17-year jail term on ex-leader Lee Myung-bak
- Brazil footballer Robinho given 9-year jail term for rape in Italy
- 'I Was Wrongly Jailed for 30 Years, but Finally Just Voted for a President'
- Exclusive – Union Workers Go All In to Reelect Their Fighter, Trump: ‘The Democrats Left Us Behind 30 Years Ago’
- Five-year jail term for Lalu in third fodder scam case
- Drug cartels control more than 20% of Mexico according to classified CIA study, as homicides surge to highest levels for 30 years
- Animal abuse attracts up to 10 years jail term in Greece
- British aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe will NOT get an early release and will have to serve final two years of her full five-year jail sentence, Iran confirms
- Dilma Rousseff defiant amid calls for resignation over corruption scandal
- Chad le Clos, thankfully reunited with his ISL team, flies toward a third Olympics
- Rio F1 racetrack plans add fuel to Brazil deforestation row
- Russian Olympic medalist cyclist switches countries, fearing Tokyo 2020 ban
- Hungarian driver, 30, who drove the wrong way on a dual carriageway and 'ignored two clear no entry signs' before killing grandfather, 60 in collision is jailed for two years
- Two get jail for molesting minor girls
- Mastermind behind the gangland hit of an innocent 15-year-old boy in retaliation of his nephew's death is found guilty of murder
- How our hardest working royal Princess Anne has clocked up 20,000 engagements in 50 years (and admits some are 'perhaps less interesting' than others)
Olympics: Brazil's Nuzman sentenced to 30 years in jail for Rio 2016 corruption have 561 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at November 26, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.