Senior Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali (The Edge filepix)
KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 24): Malaysia and Turkey are set to conclude the text-based negotiations for an expanded free trade agreement (FTA) between the two countries by year-end and finalise the entire package by the middle of 2022.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali, who is also International Trade and Industry Minister, said once concluded, the expanded FTA would also cover trade in services, investment and electronic commerce.
He said International Trade and Industry Ministry officials, led by secretary-general Datuk Lokman Hakim Ali, were in Ankara last week to meet with Turkish trade officials to negotiate the expansion of the existing agreement.
"I am pleased to share that the talks last week made substantial progress and both sides are now on track to conclude the text-based negotiations by the end of this year, and finalise the entire package of the FTA by the middle of 2022," he said in his speech at the Turkish Aerospace Industries' (TAI) new office opening ceremony in Cyberjaya on Wednesday (Nov 24).
As of June 2021, a total of 13 manufacturing projects with Turkish participation had been approved with total investments of RM510.4 million.
Azmin said the government will continue to focus on attracting high-quality investments which have elements outlined in the National Investment Aspirations (NIA) framework.
- Gallagher, Nelson battle over trade
- Trade deal debate is far-reaching
- Obama and Southeast Asian leaders to talk trade, security
- Trade deal revolt precedes Obama's Palm Springs trip
- U.S. warns of 'massive military response,' halt in Chinese trade after N. Korea nuke test
- Malaysia condom maker mixes business and pleasure
- Australia’s Qantas Airways shuts down entire global fleet in lockout; government calls emergency hearing
- Video, Transcript: President Obama Says 'World at Crossroads' in Address to UN
- NFL mock draft 6.0: How trades could shake up the first round
- MLB trade deadline: Likely destinations for all the top stars on the block
- Free clinics aim to fill VA’s shortfalls in mental health
- Mexican leader congratulates US - but not Trump
- Companies used Clinton fundraisers to lobby State Department
- The Force of Ellen: Kullman reflects on DuPont, life
- Terminating NAFTA would push USA backward
- 5 reasons Californians should worry about Donald Trump
- 4 reasons Mexico hates President Donald Trump's border wall
- Trump is a nightmare negotiating partner: Jill Lawrence
- Civil Service and Polytechnic play match at Buckingham Palace
- Hillary Clinton likens Russia, Putin in Ukraine to Hitler, Germany in 1930s
Malaysia, Turkey to finalise entire package of expanded free trade agreement by mid-2022, says Azmin have 392 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.