(Photo by Suhaimi Yusuf/The Edge filepix)
PUTRAJAYA (Nov 12): The country's Covid-19 infectivity rate or R-naught (Rt), which has risen to 1.0, may be an early sign that positive cases will increase, said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
He said the Rt value of 1.0 also indicates that the cases will not drop but remain flat.
"Although the cases have yet to go up, it will probably increase," he told a press conference on Covid-19 development on Friday (Nov 12).
The Rt value refers to the level of infectivity of Covid-19 that is the number of cases that can be infected by one positive case.
Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin, when announcing the same mater via a posting on his Twitter account on Thursday, also urged individuals who have received their vaccine booster appointment dates to show up for their jabs
Dr Noor Hisham said lifting of the interstate restrictions was not a factor, but the increase was attributed to gatherings that have made it difficult to observe physical distancing.
"This is how the virus spreads. The Health Ministry always advises people to comply with the standard operating procedures, and has made it compulsory for the public to wear face masks.
"If possible, wear a face shield, as double masking can provide between 86% and 90% protection against the virus," he added.
On the development of the National Immunisation Covid-19 Programme, he said to date, 95.1% of the adult population or 22,258,551 individuals have completed the vaccination, while there are still 1,031,946 individuals or 4.4% of them who have yet to be vaccinated.
He urged those who have yet to get the vaccine shots to immediately do so, to reduce their risk of being infected and ensure a strong immune system to fight the virus.
- Covid-19: Record high of 30 clusters recorded, says Health DG
- Covid-19: Infectivity rate below 1 for the past two days, says Health DG
- Covid-19: Infectivity rate in eight states above national average of 1.13, says Health DG
- Vietnam confirms 24 domestic COVID-19 infections on early May 27 morning
- Vietnam logs 35 COVID-19 infections on early May 13
- Gov. Cuomo: COVID-19 Infection Rate Below 1 Percent For 30 Days Straight, Hospitalizations Hit New Low
- Covid-19 infection rates fall with more vaccination but jabs less efficacious against Beta variant: Report
- Over 8,700 new COVID-19 infections bring total PH cases to 1.037M
- 5,177 new COVID-19 infections push total active cases to 53,203
- Johns Hopkins: Global Count of COVID-19 Infections Tops 175 Million
- HCMC promptly investigates source of Covid-19 infection
- Disparities in Covid-19 vaccination rates among US counties fall along digital and economic divide
- 51 new COVID-19 infections raise national tally to 9,835
- The slowing Covid-19 vaccination rate is worrying experts. Here's what some states are doing to change the trend
- 272 new COVID-19 infections and record-high 238 recoveries seen on Monday
- Three more locally-transmitted Covid-19 infection cases recorded on Friday morning
- 8 more COVID-19 infections linked to TTSH cluster among 10 new community cases in Singapore
- MAY 15: Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections hit record high, one death
- India Surpasses 20 Million Total COVID-19 Infections
- 57 new domestic infections of COVID-19 logged on early May 25
Covid-19 infectivity rate at 1.0 can be early sign cases will increase, says Health DG have 507 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at November 13, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.