(Reuters illustration filepix by Dado Ruvic)
FRANKFURT (Nov 26): BioNTech, the inventor of the western world’s most widely used Covid-19 vaccine, said it expects more data on a worrying new coronavirus variant detected in South Africa within two weeks to help determine whether its shot would have to be reworked.
“We understand the concern of experts and have immediately initiated investigations on variant B.1.1.529,” the biotech firm, which is in a vaccine alliance with Pfizer, said in a statement when asked to comment.
“We expect more data from the laboratory tests in two weeks at the latest. These data will provide more information about whether B.1.1.529 could be an escape variant that may require an adjustment of our vaccine if the variant spreads globally,” it added.
Escape variants are those that elude the targeted immune response brought about by vaccination. Should it be necessary, Pfizer and BioNTech would be able to redesign their shot within 6 weeks and ship initial batches within 100 days, BioNTech added.
BioNTech shares gained 7%, while Pfizer stock was up more than 5% in pre-market trading.
Global authorities reacted with alarm on Friday to the new variant, with the EU and Britain among those tightening border controls, as scientists sought to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant.
Pfizer and BioNTech have already created versions of their established mRNA-based vaccine — based on the original virus found in the Chinese city of Wuhan — to target the so-called Alpha and Delta variants, with clinical trials ongoing.
While not meant to yield commercial products, the exercise is carried out to establish a routine with regulators that will help speed up any future vaccine relaunch.
- Moto G family gets two new variants for 2020, now up for pre-order
- Coronavirus live updates: Surgeon General Adams says this will be ‘saddest week of most Americans’ lives’
- Fed's Mester says economic data could be 'very bad' in first half due to coronavirus
- Trump Says Feds Developing New Guidelines For Virus Risk
- Dr. Anthony Fauci Says Expect Between 100k and 200k Coronavirus Deaths in U.S.
- 'He wouldn't give a definitive no!' MKR judge Manu Feildel sparks rumours he might QUIT the Channel Seven cooking series as he's expecting a 'new baby' with wife Clarissa Weerasena
- Expert who predicted just 5,700 may die from coronavirus in the UK says he was wrong and Britain is in a 'dangerous state' as daily deaths surge past his estimated maximum number just TWO DAYS later
- Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin calls record three million new unemployment claims 'NOT RELEVANT' because 'the president is protecting people' with checks in three weeks - as crippled economy's jobless total reaches 3.3 million
- Working 9 to 5! Internet traffic in the UK has almost DOUBLED in three weeks thanks to people working from home and youngsters not going to school during coronavirus lockdown
- Wall St Week Ahead: Investors look to coronavirus data to support a stabilizing markets
- Britons are flocking to buy vitamin C as supplement firm says sales have TRIPLED in a week amid claims the nutrient can protect against coronavirus
- New Orleans is set to be new U.S. coronavirus epicenter after infections rise by 30% to 1,800 in 24 hours as Mardi Gras is blamed for the outbreak
- Census figures show decline of New York’s rural areas
- Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate seven times New York's? Obesity is a factor
- Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate twice New York's? Obesity is a factor
- CORRECTED-Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate nearly three times New York's? Obesity is a factor
- Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate 7 times New York's? Obesity is a factor
- Trump's path to extending coronavirus guidelines was led by health experts and the scenes at one New York hospital
- Teen Mom 2's Kailyn Lowry Expecting Fourth Son
- COVID-19 infections rise in New York with peak weeks away
BioNTech says it expects more data on new variant in two weeks have 620 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.