SRINAGAR, India: The mastermind behind a 2019 attack that killed 40 Indian paramilitary troops has been killed in a shootout with security forces, Indian police in Kashmir said on Saturday (Jul 31).
Mohammad Ismail Alvi, the commander of militant organization Jaish-e-Mohammad was killed south of the regional capital Srinagar, Vijay Kumar, the police chief of Kashmir told Reuters.
"Mohammad Ismail Alvi alias Lamboo alias Adnan was from the family of Masood Azhar. He was involved in conspiracy and planning of Lethpora Pulwama attack,” Kumar said.
A suicide bomber rammed a car into a bus carrying Indian paramilitary police in Kashmir on Feb 14, 2019, killing 40 of them in the deadliest attack in decades on security forces in the disputed region, raising tensions with arch foe Pakistan.
The Pakistan-based Islamist militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Indian government accused Pakistan of letting militant groups operate from its soil and called on it to take action. Islamabad said it rejected the suggestion it was linked to the attack.
Kashmir is a Muslim-majority region at the heart of decades of hostility between nuclear-armed India and Pakistan. The neighbours both rule parts of the region while claiming the entire territory as theirs.
- Militants attack joint party of police, CRPF in Pulwama village
- Two dead in armed attack in Nyaruguru District
- Violence flares in Kashmir after a protester is run over and killed by Indian paramilitary vehicle
- Violence flares in Kashmir after protester is run over and killed by Indian paramilitary vehicle
- Police fire on funeral of Kashmir man killed by soldiers
- Belgium shooting: 'Radicalised' prisoner on day release kills two female police officers in Liege
- Three dead in ‘terror’ attack in Belgian city
- Kashmir: 12 year old innocent Wikas Ahmad killed by Indian Army
- Shia Waqf Board to skip Eid celebrations, burn Pak flag in protest against killings of Indian soldiers
- Two stabbed to death in South Africa mosque, attacker killed
- Belgium attacker killed fourth person a day before deadly Liege attacks, authorities say
- Shanghai Knife Attack Kills Two Schoolchildren
- Taliban Refuse To Extend Afghanistan Ceasefire As Suicide Attack Kills 18
- Taliban ranks still seen in Afghan cities as truce set to end, suicide attack kills at least 18
- Arkady Babchenko not dead: Kremlin critic reportedly killed in Kiev appears alive at press conference
- Assailants kill journalist, his police bodyguards in Kashmir
- Brief Kashmir truce ends as border clashes kill 2 Indian soldiers
- Deadly holiday weekend: 9 killed in Detroit
- Bukhari killing: J-K Police arrests one suspect
- Police fire on funeral of Kashmir man killed by troops
Mastermind behind deadly 2019 Kashmir attack killed in shootout: Indian police have 401 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.