SAN SEBASTIAN, Spain: American Neilson Powless of EF Education-Nippo won the San Sebastian classic on Saturday (Jul 31) after edging a thrilling three-way dash for the line on the Basque city’s famous seafront.
The 24-year-old from Florida was part of a breakaway over the narrow hill roads outside San Sebastian and finished the 231km course in 5hr 34mins 31sec, just ahead of Slovenia’s Matej Mohoric and Mikkel Honore of Denmark.
Powless identifies as a Native American of the Oneida tribe, and comes from a sporting background with his mother an Olympic marathon runner, his father a triathlete and his sister has made the national cycling team too.
Powless, who recently completed the Tour de France with his American outfit, drew level with and overtook Bahrain Victorious’ Mohoric right on the line.
“We played our cards perfectly, I’m so happy,” said Powless.
“It’s my first professional victory and I’m happy to have taken it here in San Sebastian with a director in the car who’s a local.
“Every time I’ve race through the Basque Country it’s been incredible with the fans, so I’m super happy to win in front of such enthusiastic crowds,” he said.
After riding in rain most of the afternoon the main pack of riders featuring world champion Julian Alaphilippe crossed the line at the giant horseshoe bay La Concha beach 1min 04sec adrift.
The race is the first major test in the build up to the Vuelta a Espana in two weeks time where Egan Bernal is tipped to complete a hat-trick of Grand Tour wins, the Colombian was in the mix on Saturday, ending 1min 09sec down on the day.
The irrepressible Dutch rider Annemiek van Vleuten won the women’s race earlier to add to her Olympic time trial gold from just three days ago.
She had also won silver in the road race in Japan.
“I was never in any trouble,” said the infectiously enthusiastic van Vleuten. “I didn’t know how the jet-lag would be but I wanted to win here for my team,” said van Vleuten who rides for the Spanish team Movistar, based in the Basque country.
- George Clooney and his friend Rande Gerber hit the open road in their classic sports cars
- American Women Have Achieved a Ton of Olympic Milestones in Rio
- Replays of classic Rockies games begins Friday with Game 163
- My favourite game: Zenyatta wins the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic
- Joe Biden should choose an African American woman for winning ticket
- Cycling the length of the Americas: From Alaska to Argentina
- A deadly cycle of destruction: how greed for land is fuelling Amazon fires
- 10 Giants from 2010: Bengie Molina still hurt by midyear trade, jeers from fans
- Ex-Cannes Critics’ Week Head, Industry Activist Jose Maria Riba Dead at 68
- Irrfan Khan: Indian actor dies at 53 after battle with cancer
- Conservatives accuse Democrats of wanting to 'take away your hamburgers'
- Coronavirus live updates: US says China hid severity of outbreak to hoard supplies
- Coronavirus live updates: Anonymous donor gives $1 million to Santa Cruz hospital workers
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: May 3
- California releases detailed list of outdoor activities allowed during shutdown
- Fifteen Years After ‘Saving Face,’ Filmmaker Alice Wu Is Back with ‘The Half of It’
- Comic-Con 2017 Preview Night & Thursday Schedule Announced
- The Latest: Fore! Golf to resume in Washington State
- Where to go on holiday in 2016
- JoJo puts her best foot forward in a strapless gunmental gown as she walks Grammys red carpet
Cycling: American Powless wins San Sebastian cycling classic have 568 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.